Chapter 13 ⚫America's Sweetheart⚫

Annabeth's POV:

3:30 PM; Before the dinner.

The bell rung. "I got it Helen!" I yelled.

I went and opened the door. "Jason! What are you doing here?" I asked. I was pretty surprised since the boys didn't stop by much.

Jason let himself in. "I have to show you something." He sounded in a rush and worried.

"Uh...what?" I asked, perplexed as Jason synced his phone to the TV.

"Jason just tell me, what are you-" I stopped short as Percy's image appeared on the screen. "Percy was pressured into writing a song. He wrote this and I can tell it was about you. I thought you'd want to see this."

I looked up at the screen and hopped onto a sofa.

In the video....

"Ready?" The person operating the band asked.

Percy clenched his jaw and sighed. He closed his eyes for a moment and nodded.

I leaned forward, intent.

The green light beeped and Percy started singing.

"I feel so alone in a crowded place
Every conversation feels so fake
Everything I touch always seems to break
I get so depressed when I hear your name
Oh-oh-oh"

Tears started forming in my eyes.

"I don't really give a shit if you stay
I don't really give a shit if you go
I don't really give a shit either way
Either way, I feel alone
I don't really give a shit if you stay
I don't really give a shit if you go
I don't really give a shit either way
Either way, I feel alone

And here we are, I'm the bad guy
And you're America's sweetheart

I won't even lie, if you left me here
I wouldn't even cry, not one dam tear
And I'ma tell you something you don't wanna hear
I won't feel good until I disappear
Oh-oh-oh"

I sobbed out. Jason looked at me with a sad smile.

"I don't really give a shit if you stay
I don't really give a shit if you go
I don't really give a shit either way
Either way, I feel alone (Alone)
I don't really give a shit if you stay
I don't really give a shit if you go
I don't really give a shit either way
Either way, I feel alone

And here we are, I'm the bad guy
And you're America's sweetheart"

I covered my mouth with my hands and shook my head, still crying. I slowly walked towards the TV.

"Oh-oh-oh
I don't really give a shit if you stay (If you stay)
I don't really give a shit if you go (If you go)
I don't really give a shit either way (Either way)
Either way, I feel alone (Alone)
I just wanna say I feel so ashamed (Ashamed)
Never really thought that you would let me go (Let me go)
Now I gotta wake up in all this pain (All this pain)
Every day, I feel alone"

I touched Percy's face in the screen with my fingertips. The people in the room were so focused on everything that they didn't notice it. He looked broken. I couldn't imagine how much energy it took him not to burst into tears. I softly whispered the last two lines with him.

"And here we are, I'm the bad guy
And you're America's sweetheart"

_______________________________________________________

I dressed up as best as I could. When I asked Helen if I could borrow her red dress, she smirked at me and asked "Well does somebody here have a date tonight?" I really didn't know. It was an impulsive decision and I decided I'd take Percy to dinner tonight.

I'd been so worried about Percy breaking my heart that I hadn't stopped to think if I'd broken his heart.

When I got ready, I drove up to Percy's house, after acquiring the address of Frank, since I figured he's ask the least questions. I didn't want my dad or Helen, to drive me since they'd have a couple questions when they saw the mansion.

I was greeted by Mrs. Jackson, Percy's mother. And after I explained who I was and why I came. Her eyes lit up and she gave me a warm smile and a motherly hug. She told me how Percy spoke of me every day and how glad she was to finally meet me.

We went in and talked about her books, The Winged Expectation series (WHICH I ABSOLUTELY LOVED!)

And then Percy came. We went out in the hallway and our eyes met. Percy was wearing a sea green tshirt, the same one he was wearing in the video and his hair was ruffled and his cheeks rosy from the cold outside.

"Hi Percy." I said, smiling. I really hoped I didn't look as bad as I thought I did. "So, Seaweed Brain, will you go out for dinner with me?" Sally quietly exited the room as awkward silence and sparks filled the air between us. Percy hadnt shifted his gaze from me and I tried to pretend I didn't know that he was looking me up and down with an awestruck expression on his face.

"I- Uh hi Annabelle- I mean...Annabeth- I don-"

I stopped him by putting my finger to his lips. "Shut the hell up. I came to take you to dinner. A date if you want." I winked. "Now, go get dressed."

Percy's eyes lit up like a kid in a Candy Store and he stumbled up the steps to his bedroom, occasionally falling on his face. Smooth.

A few minutes later he came down, dressed in a black shirt with the top two buttons unbuttoned and beige pants.

I didn't realise I was staring until Percy came up to me and smirked.

"Dam I really look that good, Chase?"

My face reddened and I cleared my throat. I hooked my arm through Percy's and we said bye to Sally. Who said bye back and said "No funny business!" Our faces reddened.

We left the house and I immediately felt good. I was going on a date. I smiled as we headed out to Percy's car.

As we got into the car, there was awkward silence. "So...Annabeth. What made you change your mind about me? Because, well in the closet you seemed pretty disinteres-" I held up a hand to stop him.

"Percy, I'd made a mistake and I realised that today. And just a dinner cant hurt right? And...I also have something planned." I smiled.

Percy grinned. "Alright then. Where are we headed to?"

A/N 1018 WORDS PEOPLE. YOU'RE WELCOME. HOPE Y'ALL ENJOYED!

Unclerickdabest, out.