Chapter 28 ⚫Tis the season of Heartbreak⚫

Annabeth's POV:

While I was hurtling down the cliff at 50 miles per hour, I remembered a random fact that saved my life; If you fall face-first onto water, it is as bad as falling on concrete, so using a last surge of energy, I pushed my legs downward just as I hit the water.

The pressure whistled in my ears as I sunk down. I swam as close to the cliff as I could so that the goons couldn't see me.

I gasped and coughed as I resurfaced, to hear many shouts and sounds of fights above, the police had arrived. About time.

I saw a girl peering over the cliff and our eyes met. She was wearing tight black leather pants and a black metal breastplate gilded with gold. She smiled at me and scribbled something on a paper then she fluttered down a note. I barely caught it, then held it to the light.

'Nice job. You should consider joining us, but more on that later. The boys will be imprisoned for life, and Ares will receive death penalty. Now, we need you to come back to the city tomorrow, so everyone thinks that you were just on a short trip. Understand?

- The Amazons

I looked back up just to see nobody there, and the sounds of fighting no longer to be heard.

Frowning, I tried to make a plan. "Think Annabeth, think." I closed my eyes and then opened them again.

I swam to the bottom of the river and collected long tufts of kelp and some edible seaweed. Then I swam back up, and fitting my foot into a little dent in the cliff wall, I hoisted myself up to put my leg on a small ledge. I kept on climbing up the cliff wall, often slipping and regaining my balance.

About 2 minutes later, I caught sight of a little cave in the cliff. I sobbed in relief, tears of exhaustion and anxiety streaking grimy face. I began to reach for another dent in the wall when I saw something that scarred me for life.

A huge Brown Widow spider was crawling mere centimeters away, its pincers snapping. My eyes widened in fear "Oh no, no, NO!" I tried to move sideways, away from it but it had now noticed me, and was moving quickly towards my bleeding and scathed hand perched on the ledge.

I quickly hoisted myself onto a narrow strip of rock, enough for me to tiptoe on, leading to the cave. I ran, cradling the kelp and seaweed and collapsed as soon as I set foot inside the cave.

I got to work, finding edible plants and mushrooms in the cave, and then I started weaving the kelp together to form a bowl, in which I kept my meal for later. I sat down on the rocky ground and started sobbing out of desperation, exhaustion, and what had happened in the past 24 hours, and what could happen next.

Piper's POV:

"YOU FOUND HER?!" I heard a shout from the Hallway. My head snapped up and I drowsily rubbed my eyes. I looked around to see everyone else get up from the couch and stretch again.

"What's the time?" Hazel yawned.

"What's the year?" Leo asked, rubbing his forehead. Then he winced, "Ow, I think my butt's fallen asleep."

I checked my watch "It's Sunday, 9:06 AM. Come on, let's go outside I think someone has found Annabeth."

We all rushed and crowded outside to see half a dozen of The Amazons standing there, clearly tired. "Yes, Mr. Jackson, for the hundredth time, we did." Hylla said, exhausted.