Chapter 35 ⚫Murderer on the rope⚫

Part I of III: Murderer On the Rope

The Storm is coming

Annabeth's POV

"What about some books?" I asked Luke. We were wandering around the Manhattan Mall on 33rd St, trying to find a gift for Amy. We'd gone up and down the escalator a couple hundred times, exploring shops and establishments but nothing seemed right.

He shook his head. "Books, she can buy on her own. I want to gift her something special. Something that reminds her of me. Like a promise ring or something."

I stopped in my tracks, thinking. Then, as an idea came to my mind, I grabbed Luke's hand and we raced up the escalator. "ANNABETH! ANNABETH WAIT. OUCH MA'AM I AM SO SORRY, I DID NOT MEAN TO- IS THAT A POODLE?!"

 I stopped in the front of a massive shop, with sea green paint on the exterior and a golden doorway.

"Then that seems like the perfect place."

He followed my gaze towards the Tiffany and Co. shop, and his eyes widened. "Good thinking."

We rushed inside, and tried to get a look at some samples in the glass display case. The shop was incredibly crowded, with only enough room to slip through. A sweet vanilla scent hung in the air and gentle music was playing. Me and Luke agreed to separate so I went to look at the rings and earrings while Luke examined the necklaces.

My eyes scanned the rows of displays, trying to find the right size. Too big. Too small. Too expensive. There was a olive leaf ring that caught my eye but it was too simple. Sigh. I wish I'd brought my mom here for this.

I tried asking the workers there for recommendations but all they did was promote the horrifyingly expensive jewelry. Go figure.  

My eyes flitted through a display case full of rings until they landed on one. My breath caught in my throat. The worker who was helping me look through the jewelry smiled. "Ah."

He brought out the ring carefully. It had a sea green gem, roughly cut, placed inside a golden band with small tendrils incapsulating the stone.

 It had a sea green gem, roughly cut, placed inside a golden band with small tendrils incapsulating the stone

The assistant handed it to me and I ran my thumb  along it, slipping it onto my finger. It fit perfectly there, as if it was made for me. The assistant, what was his name? I glanced up at his name tag. Aahan Singh. Oh, yes, Aahan.

I looked back down on my hand and realised I had put the ring on my ring finger. I softly smiled to myself. Maybe one day if Percy and I got married, I could wear this.

Woah.

Why did I even THINK of that?! Percy and I are eighteen for Zeus's sake, we can't think about marriage yet!

But he is a keeper. My keeper.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't notice Aahan waving his hand. "Hello? Earth to whoever you are?"