Chapter 21⚫Family⚫

Luke's POV:

I sat down next to Mrs. Jackson on the bed. She took my hands and then worriedly asked me "What's wrong?" I wondered whether I should tell her or not. I had just met her but I trusted her with my life. She looked like such a warm and easygoing person. Like my mom. Before she went...a little balistic.

Then she looked closer at me and said "I remember Annabeth mentioning that you were from San Francisco. Did you move here from there? Do you live with your parents?"

I grit my teeth at the last part. "Ah." She said in understanding.

There was uncomfortable silence.

"Who's your dad?" She asked.

"Hermes." I grit my teeth harder. At this point they're going to reduce to little nubs.

She frowned. "The Hermes? The owner of the mailing company?"

I nodded. Sally pressed on "Who's your mum?" I bit my lip. "May. May Castellan." It felt wrong to say her name after so long. I had the hopes that I would forget about her, but today I remembered her again. Mrs. Jackson was right, I needed to face my past, not forget it.

"My...my mum was, no is, caring, smart, beautiful, warm. I don't know what happened but one day she just...snapped. Her eyes became all glazed, like broken glass, and she'd clutch my arm and say things. Often late at night, she'd scream and I'd run to her only to see her muttering stuff. Bad stuff. At 14, about 5 years earlier, I'd had enough. I ran away. And I ran for a long time. One day, I went to the park and that's where I met Thalia."

Mrs. Jackson gasped. I put on a small smile. "Yeah. I know her. She's Percy's cousin isnt she? Well, we both became friends pretty quick, and about a week later, we met Annabeth. She was on the swings, she was pretty sad, so we decided to talk to her. Her dad had just married a new woman and she was wondering whether she should like her or not. And we included her in our group then. But a couple months later she had to shift to New York, something about her dad's job. We all were heartbroken. But we moved on. And a couple of days ago me and Thalia were bored at Brook High without Annabeth so we decided that we'd move to Goode as well." I put on a brave smile. I hoped she didn't notice my nervous tone in the last part.

Thank the gods Mrs. Jackson didn't. She hugged me and then pulled away, tears in her eyes. "Any friend of Percy is a friend of mine." And then she ruffled my hair, the way my mom used to when I was a little boy. "Sweetie, if you ever want someone to talk to, or just want a mom for a while, please feel free to call me. No one deserves to be alone."

I nodded, some tears sprouting in my eyes as well. She patted me on the back and I helped her up. "Girl or boy?" I grinned. "Girl." She said happily "We decided on the name Estelle."

"Estelle Jackson." I tried it out. Then I smiled "Sounds amazing." Sally's face brightened.

We went out into the hall. Percy was laughing and talking to Annabeth, his arm slung around her shoulder. I felt a little lump of jealousy rise but I forced it down. It isn't her.

Annabeth looked as us and smiled, Percy followed pursuit. "What are you two so happy about?" He teased.

Mrs. Jackson winked at me and said "Nothing. It's a secret." I shrugged "Mrs. Jackson is right." Then she swatted my arm and said "Oh please! Call me Sally." I looked at her "What about mom?" I asked with a hopeful tone. She got an unreadable expression on her face and I internally facepalmed. You just met this lady, and first you tell her you life story and now you want to call her mom?

Mrs. Jackson then got a sparkle in her eyes and smiled widely "I'd like that."

Percy looked at Annabeth, who was beaming, with a confused look. She mouthed 'I'll tell you later'

A/N Heehee. Small fillie chappie. 749 words.

Personally, I think that the relationship between Sally and Luke could be beautiful. Sally, who is so giving and kind and warm could give Luke a mother he never had. Comment if you think the same thing.

Unclerickdabest, out.