chapter 32.

I was never a fan of Thanksgiving

I was never a fan of Thanksgiving. I had nothing to be thankful for until recently.

Holidays with my mom were the best. She was a company dancer and did her best to make sure that I had everything I ever wanted. I had the happiest memories with her around Thanksgiving and Christmas.

She could've gone on to become a prima ballerina but she fell pregnant with me. We had no family in the states so she'd take me to practices with her, leaving me with the receptionist of the theater while she danced.

I grew up in the theater, it was all I knew until the accident. Sometimes, I'd still visit the receptionist who watched over me when I was younger. She was a sweet old lady now, had a house full of cats and two older kids. Her husband had died a while back leaving her to be a widow.

Holidays with my foster parents were absolute shit.

The first Thanksgiving, Frank threw a vase at Fiona in a drunken rage. She ended up in the hospital with ten stitches. I would never forget the words she spoke to me on the cab ride back home, '' The one thing that I am grateful for this year,'' she turned towards me with watery eyes. ''Is that he has enough decency to turn his anger on me and not you.''

Fiona was a sweet woman and in the end, she let Frank drain all of the life out of her.

The second Thanksgiving it was me and Frank, Fiona had died earlier that year.

On this Thanksgiving, Frank called me a good for nothing whore, and wished that it was me who died instead of Fiona. Later that week, I was being sold to The Agency in exchange for his gambling debts.

My first Thanksgiving at The Agency was the first where I broke down. I had spent the past two holiday seasons not allowed to properly grieve due to the toxic and verbally abusive environment. Luckily, I had Carmen and Khaleen who were there for me every step of the grieving process. From then on holidays had started to get a bit better each year.

But this year- this year would be my absolute favorite.

Being able to be surrounded by friends and people that I know considered my family, that was the most exciting part about this year. That and being able to eat as much as I want since I was eating for two.

I exited the bathroom, my hair braided into two braids so that my waves could be extra prominent tonight. The room was empty due to Anthonie training in the gym with the guys.

According to him, there were no off days-even on holidays.

A knock on the bedroom door had me re-routing and walking towards. Behind it stood Karma, Abigail, Tati, and Maria.''Happy Thanksgiving!'' They yelled, Abby, extended me one of the mugs in her hands as I opened the door wider for them to come in.