chapter 34.

Rhea Knight

Rhea Knight

I stuffed my hands into the pockets of my thick winter jacket. The New York air is frigid as snow falls all around me; I adjust the earmuffs protecting my ears from the freezing temperatures as I look both ways before crossing the street.

As I reach my destination, I hold open the door for a couple of guys coming out of the restaurant. A few of them say thank you before one takes over the job and lets me through the door.

Upon approaching the hostess at the front, I drop the name under the reservation and follow her lead. She informed me that neither my father nor Anthonie had arrived yet before seating me. I thanked her as she sat the menus down on the table and went on her way.

I began to unbutton my coat as I felt a tap on my shoulder. Turning around I am met with a tall, dark-haired man that I recognized as one of the men that I had held the door open for.

'' Hello,'' he smiles a lopsided grin as I face him. '' You held the door for us, and I couldn't help but take in your beauty. It would've been a foolish move on my end if I didn't at least try and get your name and number.''

Oh dear god.

My eyes peer behind him and across the restaurant, noting his friends standing behind the glass as they pretend not to be watching him make a move on me.

'' I'm sorry buddy but that's not happening.'' I chuckled awkwardly as I took off my jacket completely. The poor guy's eyes bulged out as he took in the protruding bulge of my stomach that grew bigger and bigger by the day.

He seemed to be at a loss for words as he stared at my stomach. It was as if he hadn't seen a pregnant woman before. His eyes seemed to wander my body a little bit more making me a tad bit uncomfortable.

I crossed my arms over my bump, waiting for him to walk away. But instead, he opens his mouth again. '' There's no ring,'' he says as I nod my head in response to him stating the obvious.

Did he think that just because there wasn't a ring that I would hand out my number?

'' So just because there's no ring means that I don't have a boyfriend?'' I question in slight disbelief. '' You know couples get pregnant all the time without being engaged, correct? And who's to say that I want to be engaged or married?''

The guy becomes nervous and flustered, stumbling over his words as I wait for him to fix his mistake with arched brows. '' I just meant that– I mean that there was no ring so maybe the father... wasn't present.''

'' Oh he's very much present.''

My eyes snapped to Anthonie who stood a few inches taller than the guy in front of him. '' And he would appreciate it if you got the fuck away from his girlfriend.''

Was now a bad time to get horny? Stupid pregnamcy brain and hormones.

Who am I kidding? I would've found that sexy and attractive without the bun in the oven.