chapter 49.

Rhea Knight

Rhea Knight

We'd gotten home late.

Anthonie and I had tumbled into bed around two-thirty after putting the kids to bed. I had fallen asleep the moment my head hit my pillow, a happy and content smile on my face when Anthonie's arms wrapped around my waist, and his head rested in the crook of my neck.

I had been dreaming of a beach side wedding when the sound of glass shattering woke me out of my seat. Anthonie jolted awake with me, already reaching into the night side drawer and pulling out his gun. I followed suit and crept out of bed behind him towards the doors.

He handed me his phone,'' text the groupchat. Tell them we've had a break in."

I opened his phone using my face i.d and followed his instructions as he cracked the door open, Isaw a figure dressed in black running by and the sounds of heavy feet...

Multiple heavy feet.

My heart dropped in my stomach– our kids. Fuck.

''Anthonie, open the door,'' I rushed, needing to get to our children.'' We have to get the kids.''

He clenches his eyes shut, grip tightening on the door handle and inhales. '' If they touched a fucking hair on our kids head, Rhea, I'm emptying the fucking clip.''

He opened the door as I swallowed, worry settling in my throat as we headed down the hallway towards Marc's room. Anthonie quickly opened the door to find Marc's bed empty with grumbled sheets. ''Marc!'' He called out, yelling our son's name as I choked back on a sob.

Anthonie ran rampant throughout the room. Tearing it up in search of our son.

'' M-maybe h-he's in Ca–'' I couldn't even finish my sentence without breaking into a run towards our daughter's room, praying that he was inside with her.

Approaching the room, I saw that her door was already open and a tall dark figure leaned over her crib.

Walking on soft feet, I snuck up behind him just as he reached into her crib and whipped him upside the head with my gun, knocking him out. His body hit the floor on impact. Kicking him aside with my foot, I leaned over to find a wide eyed Calliope staring back at me.

Reaching into the crib, I pulled her out as a sigh of relief left my lips. That was until Anthonie burst into the room, '' h-he's gone. Marc is gone.''

Closing my eyes, I inhaled a deep breath and put Calliope back into her crib. Rage coursed through my veins as I sat my daughter into her crib, exhaled a breath and turned around. Opening my eyes,I stared at the man dressed in black on the floor. Bending to my knees, I turned him over to reveal Leon Toussaint, Rose's brother.

Rage takes over my thinking and all I feel is the gun in my hand.

Rage takes over my vision and all I see is mewhipping the gun across his face, beating him into a bloody mess with the very gun that knocked him out. Blood splatters all over my face, onto Calliope's walls and her rug.