chapter 48.

Rhea Knight

Rhea Knight

Mmmm... Bacon.

Wait... there's no sound of snoring.

Throwing the sheets off of my body, I let my eyes adjust to the light and look around the room. The bed is empty and so is the bathroom. Since I don't smell the atrocious scent of Anthonie's morning shit, I know he isn't in there.

But I smell the bacon wafting in through the open french double doors. Slipping into my panda bear slippers, I grab my silk black robe and throw it over my shoulders, not bothering to tie it. As I passed my vanity on the way out, I grabbed a clip and began twisting it upwards while making my way to Calliope's nursery.

Peeking inside her crib, I see that she's not in there. Panic doesn't begin to settle like one would suspect. I know that Anthonie has her. Walking out of her room, I walk across the hall and knock on Marc's door softly three times. When I don't get a response, I crack the door open and poke my head inside.

'' Marc.'' I wait a moment after hearing no response and decide to head downstairs.

Following the scent of delicious bacon, I entered the kitchen to find all three missing De'Luca's in the kitchen. Marc sat at the counter watching his dad cook, gaze shifting between Anthonie's back and Calliope's gray bassinet.

'' Good Morning!'' I made my presence known, stepping further into the kitchen.

Marc opened his arms as I approached him, practically slinging himself off of the barstool and into my arms. ''Careful,'' I chuckle, steadying the both of us while he tries squeezing the life out of me.

'' Good Morning, mom.'' He removes his face from my stomach, grinning widely.

That's odd... Marc Anthonie was not a morning person.

Even so, he would never voluntarily wake up this early in the morning just to watch his father cook.

Anthonie... Anthonie would cook on a rare occasion. And even then it would not be this feast that he prepared for us to eat today.

Chocolate chip waffles, feta cheese scrambled eggs, a fruit spread, yogurt parfaits with extra granola, avocado toast, bacon, and breakfast potatoes. All of my favorite breakfast foods were spread out on the island before me.
Anthonie turns around with a pan handle in one hand and a pair of tongues in the other. He smiles as he places the perfectly crispy bacon on top of the plate already filled with bacon.

'' What's the special occasion?'' I wondered, stopping near Calliopes bassinet and taking her out. She melts instantly into my touch, eyes closing softly because she knows that mama has her. Kissing the crown of her head, my lashes fluttered shut in pure happiness.

'' Nothing. Can't I just do something nice for my girlfriend?'' My eyes snapped open, assessing him curiously.

'' You never cook.'' I retorted.