40 - I Thought You Will Leave Me Too.

Everything was paused and Taehyung didn't know for how long. It could be a few minutes or it could have been a few hours even. He knew that the vehicle he was in was stopped, his own car already destroyed due to the bomb and if the sounds he's hearing right now are reliable, a chopper had just landed near them.

Taehyung's back was hurting a lot from being slammed on to the rough surface of the pickup truck but it didn't feel like anything was broken. He was glad that he's the one to take that hit and not Jungkook.

Speaking of the younger, Jungkook was still tightly holding on to him, with his head buried in Taehyung's neck. Taehyung didn't want to get out of that embrace so he gently raised both of them to a sitting position, without releasing the hold.

"Hey, are you okay?" Taehyung asked in a soft voice but there wasn't any response from Jungkook.

Taehyung furrowed his eyebrows and looked at the man in his arms. Jungkook didn't look injured, at least not physically, and he was evidently conscious because Taehyung could feel the pressure in the embrace. But why wasn't the younger answering then?

Taehyung held the other's hands that were around his body and tried to pull them away but Jungkook didn't let him. Taehyung was starting to get slightly worried when Yoongi came into his view. The elder noticed Taehyung's worried expression and raised his eyebrows in a questioning manner.

Taehyung gestured towards Jungkook and Yoongi understood what the other was trying to say. He inched closer and put a hand on Jungkook's shoulder and gently tried to pull him away.

"Kookie, what's wrong? Are you hurt?" Yoongi asked in a calm voice, even though it's not how he actually felt.

Jungkook finally responded by shaking his head, making both Yoongi and Taehyung breath a little easier, but he still didn't let go of Taehyung.

A light sniffling sound was heard from the younger in the next second, making Taehyung panic. "Baby, what's wrong? Why are you crying?"

Jungkook's muffled voice was heard after a few seconds of pause. "I thought you would leave me too.."

Taehyung gave a frightened and confused look to Yoongi, who's eyes widened in understanding.

"Oh Kookie.." Yoongi's voice sounded like he was in pain as he ran a comforting hand over Jungkook's shoulder.

It only took a few seconds for Taehyung to realize what was going through the younger's mind. With everything that Yoongi had told him about the bond between Jungkook and his sister, it was not that hard to comprehend.

"Oh god!" Taehyung tightened his hold, trying to assure the younger that he's ok.

"P-please.. J-just.. Tae, please..."

"What do you want, baby?? Just tell me what you want. I'll give you anything."

"A-anything?"

Yoongi tactfully left the two of them alone and went to talk with the person who came out of the chopper that just landed. Taehyung's vehicle was burnt beyond recognition and a team to investigate it was just minutes away.

Taehyung noticed how the elder was giving them space and was grateful for that. He turned his attention completely to the now sobbing mess in his arms, as he trusted Yoongi to take care of other official matters.

He kissed the side of his baby's head, making his mouth stay there for a few seconds before speaking up again. "Anything.. you just have to say the name."

Jungkook snuggled into Taehyung more, if that was even possible. "Don't leave me, Tae."

Taehyung couldn't help but chuckle at that. If only he could say to the younger that he would sooner die than leave him. That only death would be able to take him away from Jungkook. But this is not the time nor the place for such dramatic declarations. Jungkook is deeply shaken up with what happened and Taehyung didn't want to overwhelm him even more. A simple promise would do for now.

"Baby, I will never leave you.. I promise."

They stayed like that for a few minutes before Jungkook finally pulled away. His eyes were a little red and he was exhausted, both mentally and physically.

Taehyung pushed a strand of hair behind Jungkook's ear and looked at him endearingly.

"So..  I have to go now but I have to ask you one thing." Taehyung waited till Jungkook gave him a confused look but nodded anyway. "I'm asking only because you tend to do this a lot. Will you punch me again if I tried to kiss you now?"

Jungkook looked as if he would definitely hit Taehyung, only this time it will be not because of a kiss but because of his stupid question. He grabbed Taehyung's shirt collar and pulled him really close before muttering against his lips.

"I will punch you if you don't kiss me right now."

Taehyung's lips curved up to a soft smile for a mere second before he clashed them on to Jungkook's soft ones. Their lips moved in perfect sync, as if they had been doing this for many years now.

Taehyung was so drowned in the sensations created by the younger's mouth that he didn't even notice when Jungkook got up from the truck floor and straddled him. Both of them realized the inappropriate position they were in only when they were disturbed by a loud throat clearing noise.

Both Taehyung and Jungkook turned towards that sound, only to see a group of people around them. Hoseok was looking rather bored, as if he had expected nothing less from the two. Yoongi pointedly avoided looking in their direction, while a small disapproving look adorned his face. And then there was Mark, who was staring with mouth wide open.

Few other policemen were there too, but they had the sense to mind their own business.

Jungkook felt his face turn red at the stares he got and the compromising position he was in. He quickly tried to get up from Taehyung and after a small chuckle, the elder let him. Although Taehyung would like nothing more than to continue what they were doing, he really had more pressing matters to attend to right now.

They both got out of the pick up truck. Taehyung flinched a bit as his back was sort of hurting but was glad to see no discomfort on Jungkook's face. After ruffling Jungkook's hair affectionately and giving him a small smile, Taehyung, together with Mark and Hoseok, walked towards the burning vehicle.

The vehicle was beyond saving and it was impossible to get any lead from it. Jimin is already working on retrieving the CCTV footage from where Taehyung had parked the car and from the area surrounding it. Hopefully, they'll be able to get a lead from there.

Yoongi stayed with Jungkook and fussed over his well being. He is not here in a professional capacity and anyway, there wasn't much help he could in a physical environment like this.

After the preliminary investigation was done, they left the place to go to the headquarters. The rest of the investigation will be handled by the locals.

Jungkook and Yoongi went in their vehicle and Taehyung took a ride from Hoseok's car. Jungkook would have had a mini heart attack from all the blood rush if Taehyung had come in their vehicle.

Now that Jungkook is able to think calmly, he could not believe how clingy and vulnerable he behaved earlier. His actions were heavily influenced by the emotional turmoil that he was feeling and the downside of an adrenaline rush but that doesn't make it less mortifying.

They reached the headquarters in about one and half hours and were greeted by a fidgety Jimin. He ran to Taehyung as soon as he saw them and wrapped his arms around his friend. Taehyung lightly patted his head, with words of assurance that he's perfectly fine.

Jungkook watched this exchange cautiously. Normally he would have gotten angry or jealous at something like this but now he trusted Taehyung's affection for him, to a certain extent at least, so didn't get rilled up that much. But that doesn't mean he liked it either.

Jungkook wanted to go back to the hotel, take a shower and fall asleep. He was so damn tired from everything that had happened today, both physically and emotionally.

But with the way the special operation unit was buzzing with activity right now, the day was nowhere near over.