Genin Days Chapter 8: Mission to Wave Part 3

"Talking"

'Thinking'

Jutsu/ Bijuu/ Summons

Flashbacks, Letters, and Setting

I don't own Naruto

Chapter 23: Mission to Wave Part 3

Haku had come out late at night to not be seen by anyone. The woods had some medicinal herbs he needed to make some salves for the demon brothers' injuries.

Haku was surprised to see a redheaded girl lying under a tree, sleeping as she hugged a sword, at the spot he was planning on picking the herbs.

He quickly realized it was one of the targets from earlier. Probably the one who gave Meizu all of those cuts. Haku slowly crept up on Narumi, as he contemplated what to do.

'I should just get rid of her now and spare Zabuza-sama the trouble.' Haku thought to himself as he formed a senbon out of ice.

He hated hurting people, but knew it was something he had to do. He forced himself to move the sharp needle of ice closer to her throat.

"...mmm... nii-chan... I'm sorry... I wish I wasn't a burden to you..." Narumi mumbled out in her sleep.

Haku froze when he heard that. It reminded him of himself. He couldn't bring himself to kill the young girl outside of battle, cruelly assassinating the poor girl as she slept. He didn't have that side in him. He made his ice senbon disappear.

Haku shook the girl awake.

"Hmmm... wha... what happened?" Narumi said as she woke up from her sleep.

Haku giggled. "I'd like to ask you the same thing. I found you sleeping out here in the woods. It's cold out. You shouldn't be sleeping here."

Narumi scratched the back of her head. "Hehe, right, right. Guess I must have dozed off after training."

Haku pointed at Narumi's sword. "Are you a samurai or ninja? Why are you training so hard?"

"I'm a kunoichi! I was training out here... so I can become stronger I guess." Narumi answered.

"You already look strong enough to me. Tell me, what do you think makes a person strong?" Haku asked.

"Umm... hard work?" Narumi replied, unsure what Haku was asking.

Haku giggled again. "I meant what motivates someone to be strong. To go beyond their limits and show their real strength."

"Oh. I guess if you have a dream you want to accomplish you'll show that kind of strength." Narumi replied.

"I see. So, what is your dream?" Haku asked.

"My dream? My dream is to become the Hokage! And to protect those that I care about, and to make the world a better place!" Narumi declared. Though the person speaking to her was a complete stranger, she didn't sense any negative emotions, and guessed it would be fine telling her these things.

Haku gave her a smile. "I see. That is an admirable dream. I believe a person becomes truly strong when they want to protect someone precious to them. I'm certain you'll become very strong one day."

Narumi gave her a big smile. "Thanks!"

She then realized she didn't even know the person's name, and what she was doing out at this time.

"I just realized we didn't even introduce ourselves, and here we are talking about dreams and all." Narumi chuckled. "Hi! I'm Narumi! What's your name?"