Chunin Exams Chapter 12: Kusa's Hospitality Part 3

"Talking"

'Thinking'

Jutsu/ Bijuu/ Summons

Flashbacks, Letters, and Setting

I don't own Naruto

Chapter 53: Kusa's Hospitality Part 3

Hozuki Prison Mess Hall

Naruto looked down at his hands and stared at the nameless, beige glop in his bowl. A small piece of grilled fish was carelessly thrown on top of it.

"And don't bother asking for more. That's all you get." The guard serving the prisoners the food said callously.

Naruto shrugged and moved along. He wasn't planning on asking for more of this crap anyway.

He looked around and saw his cell mates sitting together at a table. He saw an open seat next to Ryuzetsu and sat down next to him.

Ryuzetsu saw his blonde cell mate take a seat next to him and groaned internally. Why did this unruly maverick have to sit next to him? Ryuzetsu didn't know him that well but couldn't help but feel that Naruto was the type that trouble followed around.

"Ah, shit. Look, Hanayama is at his shenanigans again." Doppo quietly pointed out to his cellmates.

A few tables away, an absolutely massive man with numerous scars walked around tables, collecting the fish from the other inmates.

"Listen, you don't want to mess with Hanayama. The man is an absolute animal. They say he's on par with the Raikage in terms of pure strength." Shibukawa told his cellmates. "If he comes and asks for your fish, you give it to him."

"You can try cutting a piece of your fish and burying it under your porridge if you want to keep some." Doppo advised. "Works sometimes."

Shibukawa shook his head. "But sometimes it doesn't. And that's when the infirmary has to deal with serious injuries. Is it worth the trouble for a piece of fish?"

"Ha! Look at you Shibukawa! You got new underlings!" Hanayama shouted out in a loud voice from across the hall when he noticed Naruto's table, before he walked over.

"Remember what I told you. If you want to avoid trouble that is." Shibukawa warned quietly one last time.

"I hope Shibukawa here told you about the "tax". Or do I have to explain it myself?" Hanayama asked the table as he walked over with a pile of grilled fish that he had "acquired" on his tray.

"I told them Hanayama." Shibukawa told Hanayama, who only took half of Shibukawa's fish out of some kind of respect for the cell leader.

Ryuzetsu and Kuronagi meanwhile, followed Doppo and Katsumi's example and placed their fish on Hanayama's tray.

Hanayama then stuck his tray out at Naruto, who ignored him and continued to de-bone and fillet his fish.

"Hey. Blondie. Your fish." Hanayama demanded.

His cell mates began to sweat, wondering what Naruto was thinking.

Naruto picked up his now boneless fillets of fish and promptly proceeded to shove both fillets of fish in his mouth.

Shibukawa, Doppo, and Katsumi's jaws dropped at the sight, while Kuronagi looked back and forth nervously at Naruto and Hanayama, wondering what was going to happen now.

Ryuzetsu just sighed. There was really no reason to start trouble over a piece of fish. The guy really was just defiant for his pride's sake it seemed.

For a moment, Hanayama's face was full of disbelief, wondering how some newbie weakling dared to go against him, before his face became filled with anger. But what scared Shibukawa the most was when that look of anger turned into a smile.