Genin Days Chapter 26: Preparation for the Exams

"Talking"

'Thinking'

Jutsu/ Bijuu/ Summons

Flashbacks, Letters, and Setting

I don't own Naruto

Chapter 41: Preparation for the Exams

In the Hokage's Office, a few weeks after Naruto's Return

A few dozen Jonins were packed into the Hokage's office, and talked amongst themselves as they waited for the Hokage to address them as to why he summoned them.

They were already pretty sure what the topic was about. The Chunin Exams. It was one of the biggest events in the village, as the event happened every 6 months, rotating between the villages each time, and guests from many different villages, including some from the capital cities, would come visit to see the spectacle.

It was a huge undertaking for the hosting village, one that allowed the village to show off their village's amenities, beauty, splendor, and strength, as well receive a huge economic boost from the influx of guests during the duration of the exams. These pros, however, came with the cons in a need for increased security for both the guests, but also for the village, as it was easy for spies to sneak in with so many new faces in the village.

But the true objective of the exams was to showcase the potential of your village's shinobi, and the stars of the inter-village event would be the Genin who participated with the hopes of getting promoted in the exams. You could be promoted in the field as Chunin, but the Genin who were promoted in the exams were seen as special, and were given more attention and support for their development.

"So, you think you're going to enter your team in the Chunin Exams this year?"

"Nah. They could still use some more experience. I don't want to risk them getting hurt too seriously. I've heard we even got some teams coming from Ame this year. Those sadistic bastards."

"How about you?"

"I think my team might be ready, but maybe it wouldn't hurt to wait for the next one."

Asuma and Kurenai, two Jonin sensei, waited for the Hokage to arrive as they listened to the different Jonin sensei discuss whether they would enter their teams or not.

"I wonder how many teams are going to enter from the leaf this year." Asuma commented to Kurenai.

"Seems like they don't trust their teams." Kurenai commented. "I'm surprised that so many people already made up their minds not to enter their teams."

"It's the more responsible thing to make sure your Genin are ready before you force them into the exams. You know dozens of Genin participants die each time, right?" Asuma asked Kurenai, who was a relatively new Jonin.

"That many die each time?" Kurenai asked in surprise. She had been promoted in the field, and she had only seen the tournament stage of the Chunin exams which had much fewer deaths due to the presence of a proctor. "You mean there's a high chance that my Genin might actually die in these exams?"

Asuma chuckled at Kurenai. "What, were you planning on entering you Genin or something?"

Kurenai nodded. "Of course. I believe in my team's ability. They've come a long way you know. It's my duty to help achieve their dreams, and this exam is a great way to start. Weren't you going to enter your team?"

Asuma shrugged. "Eh. I don't know. I was going to ask my team, but I'm not sure they'll actually sign up for it. Besides, it's very rare that a rookie team enters the Chunin exams."