Chapter Seven

School went on like normal the next day, although it was hard for Dylan to focus because of yesterday's events.  He had told Henry he would be over after school in order to get some math tutoring in before their test in two days.  It would be the first time Dylan should appear at Henry's house, making both boys a tad nervous for each other.

A knock came on Henry's door, him immediately jumping off the couch and answering it, anticipating Dylan's arrival. 

"Hey, sorry I'm late,"  Dylan stated as the door opened in front of him, "I wanted to go home and get all my textbooks and notes before coming here."

"You're fine, come on in."  Henry stepped out of the doorway, allowing Dylan to enter his home.

"Thank you."  Dylan walked into the house, looking around at how it was decorated.  "So, where do you want me to set up?"  Dylan took off his backpack, holding it in his hands.

"In here is fine."  Henry gestured to his living room, Dylan following him.  "You can just put everything on the coffee table."

"Okay."  Dylan took out a textbook and multiple notebooks, putting them on the table.  The two of them sat on the floor, next to each other, everything sprawled out in front of them.  "You ready?"  Dylan looked over at Henry, who seemed a little taken aback by the load.

"Not really."  He mumbled, more to himself than to Dylan.

"What do you need help with?"  Dylan started out, wanting to gauge exactly why he was here.  "Everything, or just one specific subject?"

"I pretty much know how to do everything except derivatives."  Henry pointed to a section of Dylan's open notebook. 

"Which part of derivatives?"

"What do you mean?"  Henry was shocked now, not realizing there were subsections.

"Like product rule, exponentials, logarithms, chain rule, sine, cosine?"  Dylan felt as if he could keep listing things off, but Henry wouldn't respond.

"All of it." 

"Okay."

"Is that too much?"

"No, not at all."

"I feel like that's too much."  Henry didn't want to overwhelm Dylan on his first time at his house.

"It's not, trust me."  Dylan placed one of his hands on Henry's arm.  Before Henry could notice it, or even glance down, the hand was gone.  "Alright, we're gonna start out with the basics."  Dylan moved on, as if nothing happened.  "The constant rule."

"Oh, I know this one!"  Henry was proud of himself for remembering this bit.  "Constants go to zero." 

"Exactly!"  Dylan smiled at the other boy, Henry's own excitement rubbing off on him.

"That's the only one I'm confident in."  Henry looked away from Dylan and back to the papers in front of him.

"That's okay."  Dylan reassured, "Let's move onto exponents.  The basic rule of exponents is— "

"Henry!"  Someone shouted from the top of the stairs. 

"Who's that?"  Dylan asked Henry, who had his head in his hands.

"My little sister, Piper."  Henry's tone is his voice indicated pure disdain.  "What, Piper?"

"Mom and Dad just called me and said they're going to be late for dinner tonight."  She told her brother as she came down the stairs. 

"What? Why?"

"Because they're currently stuck in a huge traffic jam and won't be home for hours."  She explained before stopping at the bottom of the staircase.  "Who's that?"  She looked at Dylan, who was staring back at her.