Chapter Eleven

A distress call was sent to the Mancave in the middle of the night; 2:34 A.M. to be exact. Ray walked out into the main room, sleep deprived and confused. No one usually called at such an odd hour, but his commitment to protecting Swellview didn't end just because he was sleeping.

"Captain Man Hotline." Ray's voice was laced with tiredness and could be heard as he let out a yawn at the end of his sentence. 

"Ray?" A voice spoke, immediately waking Ray up. "Ray it's me Dylan, I need—" A pause and sirens could be heard in the background. "I need you to come. My house is on fire and I can't find my mother."

"Tell me what happened." Ray was reaching for his gum as he spoke to Dylan. 

"I woke up and my house was on fire. I tried to get my mother out but I can't find her. I don't know where she is. I called the fire department and they're here but I can't go in the house. I don't know where my mother is." Dylan's shaky voice could be heard on the line as the sound of sirens kept getting closer.

"I'm leaving right now, I'll be there as fast as I can, okay?" Ray shouted across the room, standing beneath one of the tubes.

"Okay. Thank you."

Henry entered the Mancave in a hurry. Ray usually didn't call at almost three in the morning, but here he was, in his pajamas. When he received Ray's call he asked if he needed help, but Ray told him no, and that he should just go to the Mancave immediately.

Charlotte had gotten the same message and dragged Jasper with her to the Mancave, calling him about seven times before he answered and she yelled at him through the phone that there was an emergency. 

"Do you know what this is about?" Henry asked Charlotte and Jasper, who were sitting on the couch waiting for anything to happen. 

"Nope." Charlotte popped the p with her answer, clearly angry about why she was here and not in her bed.

"Schwoz was here a minute ago, looking for shock blankets." Jasper supplied, hoping it would help Henry. 

"Shock blankets?" Henry looked at his friends.

"You know those blankets the paramedics carry and put on people who have gone through traumatic events?" Charlotte answered as if it was obvious. 

"I found the blankets!" Schwoz came in not even a second after Charlotte spoke, providing Henry with an example. 

"Why do you need shock blankets?" Jasper asked.

"For Dylan." Schwoz responded. 

"Dylan?" Henry perked up at the name, the need for sleep evaporating from his body. "What do you mean Dylan? Did something happen to him?"

"Ray didn't tell you guys?" Schwoz looked between the others who all shook their head. "Dylan's house burned down." 

The tubes to the Mancave came down. One had Ray and the other had Dylan, both of them were covered in dirt and ash. Schwoz was ready with the shock blanket for Dylan as soon as the tubes went back up. Ray led Dylan to the platform's stairs, having him sit down while he was being wrapped in a blanket. Henry didn't need to know the full story of what happened before rushing over to Dylan, immediately sitting next to him for comfort. Henry wrapped an arm around Dylan, who responded by leaning into the touch. 

"Okay, what is going on here?" Charlotte spoke up. Ray looked at Dylan who nodded his head, allowing the older man to tell the story.

"Dylan called at around 2:30 saying that his house was on fire, his mother was missing, and he needed someone to go into the house to look for her." Ray paused, seeing if he was allowed to continue the explanation and was granted a pass with another nod of Dylan's head. "When I arrived the fire department had a majority of the fire under control which allowed me to enter the house to look for his mom. I couldn't find her."