Chapter Ten

After two hours of cleaning the café, everyone, except Ray, went back to Junk n' Stuff. Ray told the others he wanted to go to the police station to see what they were going to do with Michael, causing Dylan to become nervous about what kind of news he'd come back with. At some point, Jasper had gone to Junk n' Stuff, greeting his friends when they walked through the door. Everyone took turns explaining to Jasper what went down, as well as what they hoped Michael would get in terms of consequences. Dylan couldn't take it anymore, the constant talk of Michael making him pace back and forth in the store.

"You okay?" Charlotte questioned, noticing the state her friend was in.

"I'm just worried." Dylan continued pacing, no signs of stopping any time soon.

"Worried about what?" Even though the whole fiasco was explained to Jasper, he was still a little lost on some details.

"What if Michael tells everyone who I am?" Dylan started, "What if people come after me because he's told everyone what I can do and the fact that I'm technically a criminal? Then what?"

Everyone stayed quiet, not knowing how to respond. What Dylan was worried about was completely plausible, and no one could give him closure by telling him everything would be okay. The awkward silence that formed was quickly shut down by Ray entering the store.

"Please tell me you have good news." Dylan was all over him in an instant, stopping his pacing so he could walk over to Ray.

"I have good news." Ray began, earning a sigh of relief from everyone. "I also have kind-of good news."

"What is kind-of good news? There's either good news or bad news." Dylan's worried state was brought back, as well as the pacing.

"Well Michael hasn't spoken since his arrest." Ray's words caused Dylan to stop dead in his tracks.

"What?"

"The police keep questioning him and he won't speak."

"He hasn't said anything about me?"

"He hasn't said anything about, well, anything."

"Why?"

"I don't know, and neither do the police." This should have been the good news but it didn't feel like it.

"This wasn't the good news was it?"

"No."

"Then what is?"

"Michael has been tried as an adult for conspiracy to commit murder and has a sentence of seven years." Ray's words caused Dylan to crumble.

The pacing began again, but this time is was faster. Dylan wanted to run; he wanted to run away and keep running, but he knew he couldn't.

"And he's just what, okay with it?" Dylan's voice was shaky, his anxiety about the conversation showing.

"He hasn't spoken a word." Ray reminded him.

"Well he should!" Dylan shouted at no one, but rather to the open air.

"Hey, hey," Henry rushed over to Dylan, who looked like he was about to collapse onto the floor. "It's okay, you're okay." Henry held Dylan in a hug while he whispered to him.

"What if he's planning something against me?" Dylan softly spoke.

"Then we'll just beat him again." Henry replied, still keeping Dylan close.

Silence washed over the room again, but this time it felt needed.

The following day everyone saw Dylan but there was something off about him. No one could blame him, his fears were completely valid. Henry stuck to his side, constantly checking up on him and making sure whatever Dylan wanted, he got. There was only one thing that Dylan needed: a distraction. He wanted his head clear of worries and the previous day. Henry obliged, keeping him busy with any board game he could find.