Chapter Thirty-One

Dylan ripped the letter out of Ray's hand and brought it closer to his face so he could inspect it further. His eyes darted across the sheet multiple times, trying to find anything other than the bold letters. The note looked like a cartoon ransom note, the sentence spelled out from magazine clippings.

The room was silent as the two others watched Dylan read and re-read the paper as if the letters would change. Dylan was the one to break the silence, pulling the paper away from his face and keeping it in his right hand.

"It's my mother, I know it is." Dylan began pacing the floors, not knowing what else to do besides keep a constant motion.

"We don't know that for sure." Ray wanted to explain, but even he didn't quite believe his own words.

"Who else is after me, Ray?" Dylan walked over to the couch in the Mancave and sat down, placing the letter on the table. "She's the only one left."

"Look," Ray started as he approached the table and sat across from Dylan. Henry had followed Ray but took a seat next to his boyfriend instead, wanting to be close to him for comfort. "We knew this might happen."

"I know, I know, but," Dylan let out a long sigh and the others didn't know if it was because he was annoyed or upset, "Can't I just have one normal thing? Ever?"

"What do you mean?" Henry asked, reaching over to grab Dylan's hand next to him on the table.

"It's like every person who comes after me has to do it in secret." Dylan allowed his hand to be grabbed, the warmth from Henry already starting to calm him down a little. "Why can't she just show up, get things over with?"

"Maybe she's planning something." Henry supplied, playing with Dylan's fingers while their hands were still together.

"You think?" Dylan turned his gaze away from Henry and to Ray, wanting his input as well.

"It makes sense," Ray stated, "I mean, there has to be a reason why she's staying hidden."

"You think it's something big?"

"I think it's something we need to look out for."

"Great." Dylan's voice was filled with sarcasm. "One normal thing, that's all I ask."

"Nothing is ever normal when you're a superhero, D." Ray leaned back into the couch and crossed his arms over his body.

"D?" Dylan questioned.

"Hm?"

"Did you call me 'D'?"

"Did I?" Ray couldn't really remember what he said anymore.

"I think so."

"Did you not like it?"

"No, it's fine. Just caught me off guard. You can use it again."

Ray just nodded his head and closed his eyes. It was clear he was tired, they all were.

"I'm heading in for the night." Dylan announced to the others. "You should too." He lightly kicked Ray underneath the table to send is message across.

"I don't wanna move." Ray protested, slumping back even further into the couch.

"Fine, but I better not hear you complain tomorrow about how uncomfortable your sleep was." Ray mumbled something in response but no one caught it. Dylan just shook his head and turned to Henry, whose eyes were already on his. "You going back to your place or..."

"I'd rather stay." Henry replied, exhausted and not in the mood to walk home.

"I was hoping you'd say that."

The two shared a smile before Henry got off the couch so Dylan could get out himself. They had to let go of each other's hands for a brief moment but as soon as they were both standing Henry reached for Dylan's hand again.

"Come on." Dylan softly spoke and started leading Henry to his bedroom in the back. They were in a sort of rush, only because they were both unbelievably tired and wanted nothing more than to sink into a bed.

Once in Dylan's room they both changed into some sleeping clothes, Dylan having to throw some of his over for Henry to borrow, and soon they were climbing into Dylan's bed. Henry had been in Dylan's bed many times before, but this would be the first time he'd fall asleep in it. They had taken their fair share of naps together, but there was nothing like this. When the morning came, it would still be the two of them in Dylan's bed, sharing a warmth neither would want to walk away from. They were in close, facing one another, the apparent need to keep their hands together not fading away under the covers.

"Hey," Henry whispered, trailing a hand around Dylan's waist.

"Hm?" Dylan responded, leaning into the touch and scooting himself impossibly closer to Henry.

"We'll find your mother, whatever she's got planning, we'll be ready."

"We better be." Dylan placed a soft kiss to Henry's lips, who accepted it wholly. "Goodnight, Henry."

"Goodnight." Henry was about to fall asleep after saying his "goodnight", but he needed to get something else out first. "I love you."

Dylan smiled. "I love you, too."

Sleep washed over the both of them, and if they were a little late getting out of bed the next morning, then that would be their little secret.