[6] Learning

"My parents are dead."

That sentence replayed over and over in his head as Midoriya stared at you, eyes and face slowly losing their color.

"Oh." The boy was petrified.

His surge of envy had gotten over his head.

At your adamant silence and perfectly still face, he bowed his head and murmured with pity, "I'm so sorry.."

Midoriya was lucky to have both parents, although one was always overseas.

"Why must you apologize?"

Midoriya looked up at you, his lips parting. "Huh..?"

You stared down at him, awaiting a response.

"It's just.. a t.. typical thing for people to say— it's like offering your condolences." He couldn't help but gaze at you with so much pity.

Why did you not know so many basic human mannerisms? How were you coping with your dead parents? Do you even have siblings?

"What are condolences?"

Midoriya's jaw tightened. He felt horrible. "They're.. they're something you offer when you feel sad that someone's died."

"Okay. Must I thank you?"

"Uhh.. you don't have to."

You nodded. "I must place these within my refrigerator."

You raised your right arm, which carried your groceries.

"O-oh, right!" Midoriya was so glad you were the one to change the subject. "I almost forgot, haha!"

While he went to give his mom what he bought for her, you went to your apartment to stuff your food into the fridge.

When you came back, Midoriya's front door was already open. He was peeking out, waiting for you to return. "H.. hey!"

"Hello."

He let you inside and back to his room you went.

You stood by the doorway as he crouched in front of the corner where he kept all his equipment. There were a few hand grips and dumbbells of various weights.

He suddenly took a white sheet of paper off the wall. It was the regimen All Might gave him.

"There's no garbage to haul anymore.." Midoriya pinned it back on.

Turning to you, he chirped, "Let's focus on core exercises! And leg exercises, too."

That made sense. You still had your torso and one leg, after all.

"Okay."

Midoriya smiled at you, albeit a little uneasily. You two just met only last week and now you were going to work out and have dinner with him.

He grabbed a pencil and paper. "Why don't I write down some exercises for you? You can practice here so that you'll know what to do at home."

Upon seeing you nod, he began to scribble away.

Midoriya jabbered away as he showed you the finished product, explaining each exercise on there. A lot of the leg ones involved dumbbells. He even demonstrated some.

Just as you were about to try a weighted frontal squat, Inko called, "Dinner's ready, boys!"

"Did an hour really go by..?" Midoriya checked the clock, one eye squinted.