[58] Butterfly Net

You blinked. "You are a butterfly?"

The boy's confusion manifested as a slight twitch of his wings. His voice, soft and low, was muffled by the paper bag. "...No. I just have wings. That's all."

"Why do you have wings? How did your lineage evolve to have wings?" Your eyes grew bigger beneath your visor. "What environmental event caused wings to be evolutionarily advantageous for you?"

There were more important things to be worrying about, such as not letting this guy bludgeon you over the head, but you just had to know.

He could only stare. "Huh?"

Numerous other students were fighting in this forest. Here you two were, having a casual conversation. As casual as it got with you, anyway.

You pointed at him. "You were a fish once." Then you lowered your finger. "I'm sorry. Iida says pointing is rude."

"Who's–?"

"Melissa gave me a mechanical butterfly. It is at home. You do not resemble it very much."

"Who?"

Your finger stood straight against the mouth of your helmet. "I'm not allowed to tell you."

The poor guy's body went slack.

You were trolling this bozo so fucking hard.

With a roll of his shoulders, he adjusted his grip on his bludgeon.

And then he was right in front of you.

You braced your forearms against the hit and took it head-on.

The grass underneath your boots almost caught fire as you slid backwards across the clearing. Your armor took most of the blow, but you felt the shockwave ripple across your shoulders.

The boy lunged after you.

"I'm not–!" he raised the bludgeon over his head– "some insect!"

It came down with a whistle.

You swung your arms backward before doing a well-timed back flip. The bludgeon passed right between your legs and released a shockwave when it hit the ground.

You landed effortlessly. "I see. What is your Hero name?"

A small cloud of dirt had been generated by the bludgeon. The boy's wings twitched again. Each individual scale shimmered where sunlight could reach.

"...Dust." He lifted the bludgeon to rest against his shoulder. "And you?"

Dust didn't know why he was going along with you. You did piss him off, after all.

But now that he was thinking about it, he couldn't sense any malice from you. Not one bit.

That was the exact moment you chose to lift your hand. "I am HIRO."

Pure heat shot straight for Dust's torso.

Unsurprised, he smoothly twisted his abdomen to dodge. His bludgeon was lobbed into the air. More lasers chased after him as he dashed toward his descending weapon, towards you.

You closed your palms and retreated backwards. Some distance would be good.

Dust wrapped his hands around the handle.

You had moved from your previous position.

No matter.

All Dust needed was a powerful flap of his wings and suddenly, he was directly above you.