[62] Unconditionally

"Where is he?"

By now, your classmates had learned that whenever Iida asked that deceptively vague question, he precisely meant you.

You were supposed to be in the locker room. It was an unwritten rule that you were not to be left alone under any circumstances, given your criminal record of attempting to eat inedible substances.

Iida and Midoriya usually did a spotless job at keeping you in their sights.

You had gotten away nonetheless.

Midoriya squinted.

The 1-A boys weren't the only ones in here. The rest of the male examinees were bustling around as well.

Midoriya frowned. "There's so many people in here... He's pretty tall, so he should be easy to spot, so why...?"

Buttoning his shirt, Kirishima said, "Doesn't he usually stick by Bakugou?"

"Eh?"

The Bakugou in question had already left the locker room. He refused to wear his uniform properly and that gave him a massive head-start.

"Yeah." Kirishima started on his tie. "I've noticed that he tends to hang around Bakugou whenever there's a big crowd."

Midoriya paused.

He... tends to hang around Kacchan?

Sero scratched his head. "Wow. You're more observant than I thought, Kirishima."

"Thanks! Wait– hey, what's that supposed to mean?"

Iida ran a comb through his hair. "Even if you think he's with Bakugou right now, you can't be completely certain unless you check. What if he's–" Iida shuddered– "eating concrete right now?"

Sero snorted. "You guys remember when I tried giving him sand as a joke?"

"Sero!"

"Okay, but," Kaminari cut in, "he already knows not to do that. And I'm pretty sure Bakugou would scold him. That'd discourage him, right?"

"No."

Everyone looked at Midoriya.

He was deadpanning. In total monotone, he informed the other boys, "Kacchan would laugh."

Kirishima added, "And the dude likes whatever Bakugou likes."

This news was enough to make Todoroki actually pay attention to the conversation. "He likes... what Bakugou likes?"

Midoriya bit his lip.

He didn't know that.

He'd always admired Bakugou and never hated him, so why did this information make him feel so–?

"So cute!" Kaminari held his face and made a high-pitched cooing sound. "He's like a big puppy!"

Kirishima laughed. "A puppy? Not a kid?"

Iida put his fingers on his chin, looking way too serious for this conversation topic. After a moment of thought, he nodded firmly. "I agree! If I am not wrong, juvenile canines follow around their litter mates, mother, and their owner if they have one. They go through a teething stage where they chew on anything that interests them."

"Oh, really? You sure know a lot about dogs, Iida."

"Yes! In my youth, I desired to have a dog of my own, but alas, my mother wouldn't allow it."