[24] Rin

"You were amazing!"

"Thank you."

It's still the day of the sports festival. Eight p.m. You're in a call with Melissa.

"Please don't feel sad or anything," she says sincerely, a big smile on her face. "You fought just as well as everyone else!"

"Don't worry. I don't feel sad." You know the basic definition, but not what it actually feels. Luckily, you're not sad anyway.

"Good! By the way leg lock move you used on the guy in the last round was pretty cool."

You blink. "It has a name. I see."

"I actually don't know if that's what it's called.. hehe. But how's your head?"

"My head isn't hurting anymore. Your helmet is efficient."

"Is it really..? He must've used some strong explosions if he managed to knock you out.."

"His mouth was bleeding, so I assume--"

"Wait, what? Oh my goodness!"

It's forty minutes later when she says, "I'm so proud of you."

proud

/proud/

adjective

feeling deep pleasure or satisfaction as a result of one's own achievements, qualities, or possessions or those of someone with whom one is closely associated.

You take a few seconds to Moogle what that means before replying, "I am proud of you and I."

Melissa freezes. Her eyes are wide and her grip on the phone loosens slightly. "What?"

You dutifully repeat, "I am proud of you and I--"

"You're feeling again!" Melissa jumps up from her desk, cheering and squealing, "You can feel again!"

"I will feel more in the future, Melissa--"

"What spurred you to fight was your pride, isn't it?" Melissa cuts you off, her breath heavy. She's never been the most athletic, so bouncing around wore her down easily. "The pride I'm talking about.. It's when you want to keep fighting no matter what. It's when you get knocked down, and if you stay down, you'd hate yourself so.. you get up."

You recall the voice in your head earlier. It was chanting, Fight, fight, fight!

So I get up.

"I think it was my pride."

On the other end, Melissa prays to whoever's listening that you'll be able to feel as much as she can.

                                                                                         [      ]

Bullets of pale olive green pierce your unassuming face.

"Get out."

It's the next day and you and Ku stand face-to-face in Rin's hospital room. You actually haven't even gone inside yet-- Ku is guarding the door.

"Ku! Don't be rude," scolds Kendo as she grabs his arm. She's not the only one here; the rest of the class is present. They haven't known each other long, but it would be rude not to visit.