93-94

Chapter 93

It was night when I returned, the crescent moon was rising high, and the sky was filled with stars.

After suffering a defeat during the day, the morale in the Nanzhao military camp was sluggish. General Yongya was circling back and forth in the camp, feeling restless and restless.

War is a matter of victory and defeat, but they rushed all the way, winning every step without losing a single one, and their morale was so high that it soared into the sky.

Now that he was defeated, he was directly thrown to the ground. The soldiers felt frustrated and depressed.

This is exactly the same as the higher you stand, the harder you fall. But at this time, Yongya has no intention of comforting the soldiers and regrouping the morale of the army. Because Fengting has not returned yet, he is afraid that there will be more misfortune than good.

They are now defending by the natural dangers of Baishui River, and are not worried about the Shen Army's immediate attack.

But Fengting's disappearance made him feel uneasy. Fengting can die, but he must die on the battlefield in front of thousands of troops.

It is not clear whether he is going like this now. How can he explain to the king? Those in the capital who heard about the incident will definitely put a big label on him, saying that he is afraid of the rumors about Fengting. And get rid of him first?

Just when Yongya was about to scratch the hair on his head, the crossbow unit of Shen Lantai's army had already sneaked close to the north bank of Baishui River.

With a command, arrows flew.

Nanzhao soldiers hurriedly found various bunkers to hide in. In the direction from which the arrow locusts were flying, they quickly built a protective wall with shields and organized their crossbowmen to fire arrows in this direction to counterattack.

Unexpectedly, the crossbowmen from this side had already withdrawn and moved, and the archers from another place took over and launched the attack.

Locust arrows came from other directions, and the attack became more fierce, leaving Nanzhao's soldiers and horses unable to resist.

Under such continuous changes of positions and directions, the Nanzhao soldiers had to abandon their camps in the north of the Yangtze River, boarded boats and fled to the south bank of the Baishui River.

Before they left, they burned down the entire Jiangbei camp. The fire soared into the sky on the north bank of the Yangtze River, blocking Shen Jiajun and buying him time to cross the river.

Shen Lantai collected countless small boats from Xinzhou City and released them from the upper reaches of the burning area. Each boat was driven by only one person and drifted to the other side. When they reached the middle of the river, everyone was lying prostrate in the cabin.

The pier here is being built in a calm area of ​​the Baishui River. The oars have been removed and the boat is moving slowly by relying only on the current.

When the Nanzhao garrison on the south bank of the river saw this, they immediately fired thousands of arrows at the boat in the river, mixed with countless rockets.

Because all the ships were soaked in water before departure, the rockets did not ignite them. The ships moved downstream and drifted out of range, and the soldiers came out of the cabins and swung toward the north bank.

This was repeated several times, and Nanzhao lost a lot of arrow feathers, but gained nothing. Gradually, people became tired and tired, and the power of the arrows became weaker and weaker.