Part- 2. Essence of Freedom

I don't like that man. I must get to know him better."
― Abraham Lincoln

In a very short duration of a week after leaving her home, she started facing new issues at new place. She loved eating and here the food provided was not up to her standards. But she was ready to adjust to any given point right now just for the love of her freedom. A feeling of being on her own completely without any one to look after was something that she always waited for. No one to question her, no one trying to get control of her, finally, she would be able to spread her wings. The feeling not only excited her but also made her nervous since she was at a place where she was unknown to people and to surroundings. The fact that did not change a bit was that people were always unknown to her. Back there, she did not know everyone in her class, now also it was the same. In fact, worse. Somehow, she felt that they all appeared to have similar faces. Not that she had trouble recognizing the faces, but this confusing for Shanaya!

Here she was allotted a hostel room with another girl, Natasha, who preferred to be called as Natey, and even insisted teachers to use the same. It did not take time for Shanaya to get adjusted to her roommate and batch mates. They were helpful enough to help her with notes since she was admitted a month late here.

Her Dad had come to leave her and make sure that she gets settled in. He had not only seen the college but also talked to staff, teachers and her hostel mates. One of the girls had informed him about the non alcoholic parties they did in hostel. He had looked at her innocent daughter for sometime and then said with a smile:

"You too can join them."

Shanaya found it difficult to believe. Before leaving, for the first time, he talked to her about world, her freedom and limitations, her obligations as eldest kid.

"Enjoy but remember you are not the only kid. Though you are here on your own, your actions will bring us either more respect or might also defame us. I trust you the most but as a parent, it's my job to warn you. Live your life but know and try to understand where to draw lines and what limitations you should have as the eldest daughter and as a girl."

Shanaya had no words for the things he said. She understood it very well and nodded her head. And with that he left her.

She loved the place instantly and biggest happy factor was that there was no one to hate or dislike her. Well, not yet and it felt a little different to be ordinary, unknown and not being popular. Hardly she knew that how short lived was this happiness.

Apparently, she had managed to get an instant hater for herself in a week's time itself. And this time, it was a guy. The guy whom she had ignored completely when he was openly checking her out during her admission formalities. A guy who apparently was in admin staff, had lots of friends, was famous not only in the college but among the girls and girl's hostels too.

She came to know more about him in her hostel when the girls openly shared their indecent thoughts about him. He was Rudra, and had already completed his bachelor degree. Here he was doing part time job meanwhile waited for the post graduate entrance exam results. Shanaya came to know that he was always good to others, especially girls and that left them asking for more. She wondered if that was true because when it came to her, he behaved indifferent and totally weird as if she was plagued. He reminded her of her father in certain ways that she could not put her finger on. But at present he was not her biggest concern. Within a week itself, she had her term papers. Apparently she was way too late for her admission, but not late enough for the Freshers' Party.