Part- 4. Roses and Thorns

I thought I could get to know you a little better without getting too attached. But I failed.

Anonymous

But when she heard the voice of the owner of those beautiful eyes, she snapped into reality.

"Oh! You are still alive! Good to see that." Rudra stated as a matter of fact.

"Yeah. And I thought only students were allowed here." And with that he took the seat next to Shanaya.

"Hey! What are..." she never got a chance to complete that sentence.

"Do not get your hopes higher. I am sitting here just because there is no other place to sit." She stared at him with her mouth half opened still.

"And even I thought that students needed supervision and after all there would be girls who would be desperately waiting for me." He winked at her. She was still processing what was happening to her alone and happy world all of a sudden, not realizing that her mouth was still opened.

"If you did not have your breakfast in the morning, that does not mean that you will try feeding on the flies with your mouth."

She instantly closed her mouth embarrassed. Her mind drifted back to last night when she was thinking about him and even dreamt about being with him on this trip. But she knew that he won't be coming as the girls at the hostel gossiped about him.

Just after a few minutes, she started feeling the body heat radiated from Rudra and it was then she discovered how close they were sitting. Though none of them did this on purpose, but their side bodies were touching, their thighs were too close for her comfort. If someone misplaced their hands by mistake, it would land directly to each other thighs and.. She shunned her thoughts there itself, trying not to think beyond. Not only that, if they tried facing each other, their nose would be just inches apart from each other. She tried to shift herself more. If possible, she would have gone half outside the window or may be even shrink more. Unfortunately, none of those was possible. She looked around to distract herself, but was baffled to see that a few girls were not only staring at her but also throwing glares. Unfortunately, neither she did know those girls nor the reason for the glares she received. She also found one familiar face of a guy who was possibly in her batch only. Possibly.

"Did your neck get springs that you are shaking it continuously?" Shanaya was so engrossed in her thoughts that she did not realize that she was still shaking her heads.

"Nothing."

"Getting improper thoughts about me?" Shanaya was astounded at his question and turned just to find him smirking.

"You wish!" She did not want to converse anymore so she kept quiet. Amazingly, even Rudra did not do anything to disturb her for quite sometime. Only for sometime..

"What does your father do?" Rudra asked out of blue as if he did not see any of these or may be this did not matter to him at all. Thankfully he had kept his face straight and was not facing her.

"Huh?" A penetrated gaze from Rudra told her that he was actually asking the questions and was also expecting the answers.

"He is a high official in the coal mines."

"Wow!! That explains you being here in the international university!"

She felt like slapped right across her face. How cruel!

"Get your mouth in control you imbecile! I might assume the same for you. Who knows what you did and still are doing here roaming around." She retorted back.

Rudra chuckled. Did he really find this funny? All of a sudden he grew serious.

"I would have never talked to myself in that way if I were you. You know that I am in admin right? And with that comes power like I can make charges against you which may land you into punishments including suspension and monetary both." And then again he relaxed seeing her expression.

"So you watch your mouth or I will have to." He smirked at her.

Shanaya was infuriating. No one has ever talked to her in this way except her family and she did not want anyone treating her like that as well. She did not know him well enough to decide whether he was just threatening her or if he would really do something. But she knew that he had powers.

"I don't belong here any longer so don't worry about me messing around." All of a sudden he went gentle from being threatening. "Is he, by any chance, bipolar?"

"Good for all." Even though she said that but for some unknown reasons she did not like it. Not because he had threatened her just now but for some unknown reasons that she could not comprehend.

"And for you? Would you like it?" He asked softly.

"God!! Was she so obvious in showing her expressions?" She thought and got nervous.

"I come under all. I am no special case."

"You are so wrong." He whispered into her ear. And she could feel her goose bumps. Was he really flirting with her? But then she recalled the gossips from the hostel that he was good at making girls "feel good" at which they were laughing but she didn't catch the meaning there. So she decided not to assume anything wherever he was concerned. Not that he was going to be around for the long.

"So have you seen any places here so far?" His voice became indifferent again as he moved away.

"Yeah, when my dad came here to get me admitted to the college, he made me visit all the tourist places."

"Smart man he is! By the way which community do you belong?"

"Huh?" Again she was dumbfounded. Why was h asking such questions and how did these things mattered to him? She was getting confused.

"I asked which community do you belong."

"Why do you ask?"

"Why can't I ask? Tell me, I want to know" He insisted.

Who was he to boss her around? She was never ever been ordered even by her family, well except one, blackmailed and bossed around precisely.

"I don't know." She stated as matter of fact.

And this was his turn to open his mouth widely. He tried speaking but nothing came out. Shanaya had to control hard from laughing senselessly.

"How is that even possible? Everyone know theirs."

"May be. But I don't know mine. No one has ever asked that in the school back there neither did I ask my Dad."

"Yours was a co-ed school?"

"Yes. Everyone has a co-ed school."

"No. Not everyone. So, you might be having good number of friends back there."

"No. Just a handful. I am a bit reserved kind of."

"Ah I see that. So that handful must have a few guys as well?"

"Why are you asking all these things? Is this some kind of interrogation or what?" She was getting annoyed very badly. She never wanted to communicate much, especially when she was being asked personal questions.

"I just thought of getting to know you better." He said suppressing a smile.

"Of course guys were included in my circle." Shanaya answered honestly.

"Do you miss them?"

"Not much. I don't get much attached to people." Liar!

"Oh! Umm.. Do you have any..?"

_________________________________________________________________________