Part 20: Last Chance?

Everyone deserves a Second chance to clean up their mistakes and make things better.

"Shanaya?"

Lax was holding her shoulders and shaking her.

"Are you alright?"

"Yes, I am. Sorry. I just..." She said with a smile that did not reach her eyes.

"No. We are sorry. We did not know that you hate crowd and forced you to come here. But now you won't face it. Most of the people will be at flower show and apart from that this place is too big to face crowd." She said with an assuring smile.

"Hope so." If only Lax knew what had made her like this...

"Of course! Let's go to the guys. Am sure they are done with their boy time." She smiled again and urged Shanaya to come which she obliged.

The guys had made plans to take a round and then move to rocky and hilly area. For first time, Shanaya was looking forward for being with Rudra. She was expecting all the couples to ahead. But apparently this time couples did not want their so called privacy. They were all moving in a group, talking and laughing. She felt Rudra's eyes on her occasionally. He was not very far from her but was not as close as earlier as well. For the first time, she felt as if she was at a loss of time. That time was slipping from her hand like sand. The harder she wanted to hold it, the faster it was slipping.

"Are you okay? You look tensed." No!! She was relieved, hearing his voice again.

"Yes." She replied curtly and then smiled instantly feeling bad at her own curt response. Was not this she was waiting for?

"Don't worry. You won't find crowd again." He supplied smiling at her. She did not say anything, just smiled and nodded at him.

Oh how she wished for crowd again. At least, she knew that he would be there for her, if just for today. She was going crazy definitely. She wanted to let him know that she was thankful for today and sorry for all the rude comments she made at him in order to try to hurt him. But her ego was stopping her. She had never felt like this before, forget about saying sorry to anyone. A part of her argued that he himself drove her to the extent of making such comments.

When she looked for him again, he was already with guys again. She sighed and joined the conversations they all were having. When they moved for rocky and hilly area, she realized that her flat sandals were not apt for it. It was risky, unlike other girls who were wearing heels or the guys with sport shoes. Heels were still better than her flats if the girls knew how to use it against such surfaces. Though the slope was not steep but it was grassy, worse the grasses were wet.

Guys climbed easily and so did other girls. Natey almost fell but was captured by other girls before she fell. Shanaya waited till end hoping that everyone would move ahead so if she fell also, she would not be embarrassed. She made it without even stumbling, almost. Just at the last couple of steps, her sandal slipped due to wet grass.

God!! Not here.. Not in front of so many people. Especially Natey, she will tell everyone in the hostel and class as well. No no no.. Please god! Shanaya shut her eyes tightly, waiting for her embarrassment. Instead of her fall, she felt a strong grip at her wrist. She opened her eyes to find Rudra staring at her with a charming smile.

He pulled her with a force and she collided with his chest directly. And then he stabilized her with his hands on her shoulder. How much he wanted to hold her with her waist but he resisted the urge. There were people watching, even at distance. He looked into her honey colored eyes which were scared at the moment. He could feel her heart beating frantically, if only it was his affect. He felt her getting tensed and released her immediately.

For the spectators, it took just a fraction of seconds that the events took place. But for Rudra, it was like eternity. Holding her so close again, her eyes staring right into his which she had always avoided. Her heart beating so fast and ragged breath.. Everything was making him mad with every passing nano- second. Somehow he could feel that she was anxious about something. He knew it was not due to crowd but could not understand the reason. He had to make sure that he could get some time alone with her.

Apparently no one observed such minute details of those fraction of seconds for which Rudra was grateful. By the time, their friends came, he had already maintained the distance.

"Shanaya are you okay?" It was Lax again.

"Yeah. I am fine." Shanaya whispered.

"Apparently this is not your day." Lax said sadly. "We should not have forced you to come. Would you like to go back?" She enquired.

Yes. It might have not been her day but it was still a very good day so far. She had realized a few things which she would not have if she had not come.

"No. It's good. Lets continue." She said eyeing Rudra who was staring at her with an unnamed feeling in his eyes.

Rudra had actually felt hurt when Lax made that comment. He wanted to know what Shanaya felt. After all, it was his suggestion to make her come.

Rest of the time spent just in talking, laughing, walking and eating snacks. For Shanaya, it was no more embarrassing events, thankfully, neither did she get any more chance to talk to Rudra. And with the passing time, she did not even remember what she needed to talk to him and her restlessness had also decreased. Somehow, she was convinced that she won't be getting any other chance to talk to him.

While returning, apparently, couples wanted to spend more time with each other so each of them left together in separate cabs and Rudra and Shanaya were left alone to deal with each other. All of a sudden, Shanaya felt out of the breath. She had not expected these turn of events. Rudra called for a cab and directed Shanaya towards it. He had placed one of his hands at the back of her and opened the gate for her.

She had liked the warmth of his hands but she did not say anything. For one day, there had been lots of physical closeness and worst part was that she had started liking it. She thought of enjoying it till she could. This might be the last chance that she was getting with him.

______________________________________________________________

How does it feel when you try hard to hold on to something and still feel like its slipping away?

Will Shanaya ever get her second chance that she is desperately looking for to mend the things between her and Rudra, even as friends?

Or Rudra has waited enough to move on?

Kindly share what you feel.

Thank you for reading and supporting.