Part 21: Personal Number?? Nope!

Just a simple kind gesture...And things change. Who would have thought that you will be taking care of me when I myself don't.....     Deepsea15

"How was your day?" Rudra asked Shanaya once they settled and the cab had started.

"It was good." She replied playing with her fingers.

"Why are you scared of crowds?"

"I am not scared of anything. I just don't like the crowd."

Rudra was surprised that he got a reply from her without any protest. It might be his lucky day. And the thought made him smile.

"If you say so." He smiled trying to figure out the ways to keep talking to her.

There was a silence between them, with lots of thinking going on at their ends. After what seemed like a long pause, Rudra tried again.

"I... I know it does not affect you much, but I thought I will let you know anyways. My classes start in next two days for my MBA." And with each word he tried to read her face, to get any reaction.

"Oh! That's great to hear. So you will be quite busy now. How will you get time for your friends?" She had made it sound like that she was genuinely happy for him. But the way he had started this conversation made her feel like as if her heart as been stabbed right in the middle.

"You always get time for what you like and care for. And it's not like I am leaving completely." He informed her, watching her closely.

"Oh!" was all she could mutter. Though this had made her relieved to some extent but she did not know if she would be seeing him around. "So will you still continue with your part time job here as admin?" She tried hard not to sound desperate.

Rudra smiled at her. This was enough for him. He knew she was trying hard, very hard to conceal her actual feeling. She had sounded a bit hopeful which made him happier. A thought of mocking and ragging her passed in his mind but he controlled himself. This was a time where she needed an assurance from him.

"No, I won't be working here anymore. But I still will be the care taker of the boys' hostel. My college is not very far. Hardly a few kilometers from this one."

"But you still will get new friends. How will you get time for these people?"

"Are you really concerned about my friends or someone else?" He raised an eyebrow at her. Finally he could not control his urge to tease her.

"I am asking about your friends, not anyone else. Usually when I leave a place I don't turn back to see the people I left behind. I thought may be others also do that."

"Does that mean that you are not in contact with those three friends of you?" He was surprised at the revelation. Who does that. But was also happy that she was not in contact with that stupid guy who had proposed her.

"I miss them but I made no attempts to get back to them?" She was astonished that he remembered her friends.

"Why?"

"This is what has happened always. It hurts when you find that you have been replaced and your feelings are not mutual."

"But that is what happens. New people always come in your life but that does not mean you forget the old ones."

"I never said that I forget them. It's just that if they don't bother to contact you, why should you? Apart from that I would rather be alone than make anyone feel that they are too important for me. I don't want to be taken for granted and get hurt at the end. So before anyone gets a chance to hurt me, I walk out."

This was first time that she had opened up so much. Whatever she had said, also had a hidden message for him which he had received loud and clear. He did not know if she meant it intentionally for him or if it was just her thoughts. But he knew that somewhere she had been hurt badly which had made her create this wall all around her. At least he knew what he had to do now. It also made him a bit secured since he knew that she would not allow anyone to get closer to her. But then again, he could not trust the guys in her class. From what he had heard, a couple of them were smitten by her and a few had crush on her.

"I see. It sounds like you have left many places behind."

"Yes. My dad serves under central government and he keeps getting transferred continuously. Maximum years that we have spent at one place is 3-5 years, minimum is just a year."

"That explains it." He smiled at her understanding her point of view completely and then continued "But I am not like that. I don't let go of my friends that easily and not even the person whom I care for, friend or not." He added mischievously.

"So can I get your number then?" He asked her hopefully.

The look of disbelief at her face made his heart beat in a different rhythm. The expressions made her face much prettier than the mask she wears all the time with a plastered smile.

"I thought you said you did not want me as your friend." She managed somehow.

"Oh so you remember that!!!" He was taken aback and saw her face being flushed.

"But I thought you won't need to ask things like this after today." He made a dramatic expression to show how hurt he was. Seeing her getting more confused, he added:

"It's okay if you don't want to."

"Actually I don't keep mobile. My parents call me on Nate's number."

"Sorry I did not get it. Why won't you keep any mobile?"

"I needed some space for time being. Not having any mobile gives me that."

"A space? From whom? Your family?" This girl was something else. He knew that it will take some time for him to understand her. He was an observant, loved to read and observe people. But she was a puzzle, which he desperately wanted to solve.

She did not respond to his questions. She had already opened too much. And was waiting for him to make fun of her here or in front of his friends. She knew if he did any of that, she will come to know eventually. And she also knew what would be her step if he did that.

"My hostel is here." She said hurrying.

"Again ready to run away? It is easy, is not it?" Rudra was irate seeing how she wanted to escape, just because he had asked something which she was not ready to share.

Shanaya had stopped hearing what he was saying. She did not respond again. Instead, she showed her beautiful wrist with the watch showing that it was almost time before she enters the hostel or would not be allowed to enter at all.

Taking the opportunity, he held her hand, being the warden of the hostel he knew very well that a couple of minutes would not harm any of them. He pretended to read the time while he asked:

"Can I call you the way your parents contact you?"

"That is for you to decide and Natey to understand." And with that she jerked her hand freeing it and ran without looking back in order to hide her smile and blush.

Rudra was stunned by her response and kept watching her till she entered the hostel. Indirectly, she had told him that she would talk to him if he wanted to but had also let him know that Natey might or might not like it. It was for him to decide, and he had decided.

________________________________________________________

No personal Mobile?? No personal Number!! Who would have thought that.... 

Still looks like someone is doing Happy Dance!!

Are they going to be civilized in talking or their usual bickering will be still there?

Thanks for voting and reading!!! Kindly share your views as well.

Yay!!! Soon going to start with my another story which will have mature contents ;) ;)

Keep in touch for update!!!