THIRTEEN

Evelyn sat in front of her friend Neville Longbottom, halfway listening as he talked about Herbology. She was thinking about the Yule Ball and who she would go with. She knew Hermione had been asked by Viktor Krum, which hadn't surprised her at all. Jasmine told her that she had asked Seamus and he said yes. Diane ended up saying yes to Dean Thomas. Which left Evelyn without a date.

Everywhere Evelyn went someone was waiting to ask her. She had told so many guys no, that she couldn't even keep track. She felt horrible for saying no, but didn't want to go with any of them. She was never comfortable around people she didn't know, so going with a stranger was not a good idea for her.

"Hey, Evelyn. I was wondering if, uh, you had a date to the Yule ball yet?" Neville asked her out of no where. She shook her head no.

"Well, I was wondering, since you know I don't have one either, if you uh... If you wanted to go with me? You don't have to though. I'd understand."

"Neville, I'd love to go with you."

"Really? That's great!"

"I'm sorry to cut this short, but I wanna get a head start on today's lesson. I'll see you later. Bye Neville."

"Bye Evelyn." Evelyn was happy that she was going with Neville.

Neville has always been her friend. The two were alone in the beginning of their first year. They became friends after having to work on an assignment in potions. Evelyn had helped him and they got the highest grade in the class. Ever since then they would always hang out. Ginny Weasley started to spend time with them too.

While on her way to potions, Evelyn heard her name called. She turned and saw Harry was running up to her.

"Hey Evelyn." He said.

"Hi." She said quietly.

"So, I was wondering, since we're friends, if you wanted to, uh, go to the Yule Ball together." He said as the reached the potions classroom.

"I'm sorry Harry, I've already agreed to go with Neville."

"Oh, it's okay."

"I truly am sorry." She said before they walked in. Evelyn didn't know why she had wished so much that she didn't agree to going with Neville. Throughout the whole class, as she worked on her potion, she thought of Harry asking her. She pushed it aside once leaving, knowing that it wasn't that important.

"So you're telling me, you asked Cho Chang to the ball and she said no. So you decide to ask Evelyn?" Ron asked his best friend as they settled into the Gryffindor common room after dinner.

"What's wrong with going with Evelyn?" Harry asked.

"She's a bloody Malfoy!"

"Ron she's not like her family. She hangs out with Hermione all the time."

"I'm telling you it's a bad idea to be friends with her. Let alone speak to her!"

"You need to stop holding her family name against her."

"Her father was a bloody death eater!"

"So? You heard Dobby. She gets treated terribly at home. She's the one who told me about the first task and was there for me when you and I weren't speaking. She's not a bad person. Fred and George like her. So does Ginny."

"Harry..."

"No, you need to stop this. You've acted this way towards her ever since our first day at Hogwarts when all she wanted to do was be friends with you. She obviously doesn't care about blood status, she's defended Hermione and I a lot of times. You need to let go of this grudge your holding against her."

"I'll stop acting as rude, but the minute something bad happens I'm going back to hating her."

"Okay."

"What are you two talking about?" Hermione asked walking towards her friends.

"I convinced Ron to stop acting like a git to Evelyn."

"Finally. She really is nice you know."

"That's what I've been hearing."

"So how did it go with asking Eve and Cho?" Hermione asked Harry.

"Cho is going with Cedric and Evelyn is going with Neville."

"Well at least you only wanted to go with Malfoy because she's your friend. The whole thing with Cho sucks." Ron told him.

"Yeah." He listened to Ron talk until Evelyn walked in.

"Hey." She said sitting down next to him on the sofa in their common room.

"So, I hear your going with Neville." Hermione said to Evelyn with a large grin on her face.

"I didn't want to go with someone I didn't know, and Neville was sweet enough to ask, so I said yes." She told them.

   Harry couldn't help but not want to hear her say she was going with Neville. He really hoped that she hadn't found anyone to go with and would go with him. There was a small part of him that liked Evelyn the way he liked Cho, but he just pushed it aside. His friendship with her was more important.

I thought I'd do things a little different and give you some of Harry's thoughts since we don't get to hear a lot from anyone other than Evelyn.