33. Bright Lights

C A T H E R I N E
I pushed pass the heavy doors. The lights are too bright for my eyes after the darkening
gloom outside.
Fourth floor, Room 406.
My hands were trembling with fear. Fear to see Jack on a hospital bed. I read the numbers on the doors. 403...404...405...406. I slowly opened the door, there was a nurse. She turned and smiled, "Hi, are you Mr. Barakat's mother?" I nodded. "N-No. I'm one of his emergency contacts."
"Oh yeah. We tried to communicate with his mother, but she didn't-"
"How is he?" I interrupted. She gave me a worried look, "Mr. Barakat was hit and fractured four broken ribs, a broken arm and leg, and a sprained neck. He is extremely ill and is put into a coma." My heart broke. I stared at Jack, slowly breathing. "Did they catch the guy who crashed into him?" I asked. "No. I'm sorry, it was a hit and run." I clenched my fists.  "Now if you excuse me, I have to check on my other patients." I smiled as she turned to leave. The nurse shut the door, I held Jack's hand. "Please. Don't leave me. I know you're strong." Tears ran down my cheeks. "Please. I know you're going to make it." I kissed his hand and held it tight. I stepped out of the room and called Joyce.
"Hey sweetie, what's wrong?"
"It's Jack. He was in a car accident-" Tears ran down my cheeks again. "Please. Just come, he's in room 406."
"Oh my god! My little boy. I'm on my way, sweetie."
"Okay I'll be waiting" I clicked. I wiped my tears and stepped in. I sat down on the chair next to him. I crossed and placed my arms on the bed and laid my head down. There was nothing to look at. Just listen. In most rooms could be heard the noise of a television. Footsteps and voices coming from outside the room. Jack's heart monitor, slowly beeping. And quiet sobs. Coming from me.