41. Keep On Loving You

C A T H E R I N E
"Baby, way before then, and we're still together. And I meant every word I said. When I said I love you, I meant that I loved you forever..." 
I slowly moved to the rhythm of the music. I chugged down the bottle of vodka which brought a smile to my face. I loved when Steve and my mom go out of town. Nick sleeps over a friend's house and I stay home alone. I grabbed my phone and started texting Jack.
"Hey man, I'm home-" I stopped mid-sentence when I realized that Jack's gone. Tears streamed down and my cheeks and slowly landed on my phone screen. Suddenly the alcohol and weed hit me and made everything go in slow motion. I chuckled at how I felt. I didn't feel worthless. Or alone. I felt good. It's like if this is my medicine, when I'm sober I feel pain. Vic told me that once. A soft knock came from my window, it was Mike. I smiled at the sight of him, bringing butterflies to my stomach. I opened the window, "Mikey!" I let him in. "Hey, I just wanted to talk to you." I smiled. "Well come on!" I giggled. I turned down the music and we sat down, across from each other. "So how you been?" I looked down and played with my wrists. "Is Jack really dead?" I asked. "Yeah, I'm sorry." "It's fine." I looked up at Mike and I smiled. "Can I tell you something?" I whispered. "Anything." I took a deep breath. "When I saw you and Rylie on your bed, my heart dropped Mike. It's like if my world crashed down and I felt lost." I chuckled. "And that's why love is scary to me because you trust them and one day they can decide to crush it. At any moment. Just like you Mike."