Chapter Thirty Five

Violet

The hours come and go quickly, not much happening throughout the day. Trevor has been in his room for the passed several hours, declaring that he needed time to be alone. I didn't bother questioning him, figuring that he needed a little more time to think over the conversation that we just had outside.

It's been sort of strange lounging around Trevor's house without him around. There's a certain uneasiness that seems to be surrounding the place that I hadn't noticed when I first got here. I had never really thought much about the pink door at the end of the hall that no one ever opens. I had never really thought much about what Trevor's family was like. And I had never really thought much about how hard of a life Trevor could be having himself.

Until now.

It hasn't really dawned on me until now just how ignorant I must seem to him. I can't help but to have always thought that everyone's lives around me are supposedly a piece of cake compared to that of mine. I know that I have somewhat of an excuse, but it bothers me a little bit that I never even cared to ask Trevor about his life outside of fighting before. The thought to ask never even entered my mind.

"Why're you making that face?"

I look to my side to see my little sister making her way over to me with a frown on her face. I shrug and lean back as she climbs on the couch next to me, laying her head on my shoulder.

"There's nothing wrong Ange," I say and lean my head against the side of hers. "I'm alright."

"Are you sure?" She asks nudging me in the side a little bit. "Is it a boy thing?"

"A boy thing?" I chuckle lightly. "What would you know about 'boy things'?"

"My friends at school tell me about it a lot," Angie says tilting her face up to look at me. "They're trying to find boyfriends."

"Boyfriends?" Now I'm the one frowning. "Aren't you at the age where you're supposed to think boys are gross? What ever happened to cooties?"

"Cooties?"

"Maybe it's something your generation is skipping over," I sigh. "You make me feel old."

"You're not old until you're forty."

"Really?" I laugh at her conclusion. "I'll have to remember that when I'm thirty-nine."

"Are we gonna stay here forever, Violet?" Angie suddenly asks me. "Are we gonna get to see Mom again?"

"No to the first question," I begin. "We're just staying here for a little while until I figure out how to get us back up on our feet. Trevor was nice enough to invite us to stay. And as for the second question... I don't know. Mom is in a tough place right now Ange."

"Can't someone help her?" Angie asks sadly. "Why doesn't she come stay with us?"

"She's going through a hard time," I say slowly, not sure how to explain the situation to the little girl. It's hard enough for me to talk about it as is. To explain to Angie why our mother wouldn't choose us over Carlos is even harder. "And sometimes people don't need anyone else to help them. They need to choose to help themselves."

"I don't want her to stay with him, Violet."

"I know Ange," I place my arm around her shoulder and lean down to place a soft kiss on her forehead. "I don't either."