Chapter 21 - 25

21

Yan Fei until now had not known that the power had been cut – including in Luo Xun's home. The soldiers from before had spoken to Luo Xun about the blackout however Yan Fei did not hear since his injury was being checked.

Food was not an issue, it was not just congee and Luo Xun consumed most of what had been used. He made a bunch of simple rice cakes more preservable in the current climate. In a few days, the initial base should be established, people would go out to work. By then he could bring some food out, save some base currency and exchange for something useful.

Luo Xun looked at Yan Fei and estimated two or three months of required bed rest. He could only keep the other for this period...the more he thought the more it seemed like a loss.

If Luo Xun had been unable to make a weapon and get a room of his own would it be cheaper for him to work, cook and serve Yan Fei instead? His life could already be counted as secure.

After dinner, he tidied up the kitchen and the dishes. Luo Xun gently padded into the room after washing and lowered himself into bed, not too far from Yan Fei.

This morning's experience had made him a little nervous. Holding hands had prompted such a prominent reaction, what would happen if there was other intimate contact accidentally while not paying attention?

Alas life could be bitter, no way to control bodily instincts.

"Will the army come tomorrow?"

"Well it's been said they're distributing food and water. They officially launched the broadcast of the security zone. The military first calmed the residents who are now patiently awaiting rescue. Then announced a number of distribution sites near cleared up junctions."

"Are you going tomorrow? Isn't it dangerous outside?"

"No way otherwise. I should be able to pick up our supplies, any zombies in the area should have been cleaned out. I heard if everyone went, it would take two days to build a wall. You and Puppy stay at home, I will bring back food..."

Yan Fei was silent for a while before opening his mouth. "Sorry..."

Anyway he was currently a burden. Even if Yan Fei had abilities and might be promising in the future, right now Luo Xun had to shoulder the cost of supporting two peoples' food and living.

Yan Fei had never felt so dependant on others, especially since he was an adult. The feeling may have left a person feeling depressed but at the bottom of his heart a trace of satisfaction rose. He savored the feeling.

Yan Fei thought of the uncomfortable feeling in his heart this morning when Luo Xun advised him to leave, and now felt the opposite feeling.

"No matter, you rest for now, when you're better you can repay me. Just don't strain yourself." Luo Xun turned and spoke to him.

Anyway even if Yan Fei ended up running and leaving, Luo Xun would accept the room next door as sufficient repayment.

"Well, go to bed early."

Yan Fei stared at the dark ceiling. "Your cooking skills are good, the rice was very delicious."

Luo Xun paused then smiled, mostly joy with some melancholy. In his past life he could only use what had and gradually increased his skill to slowly improve the taste, to strive for deliciousness. However at the time even if he wanted to eat with others, there was noone to share with.

Now, he may have only accompanied Yan Fei for a short time, but Luo Xun felt heartfelt joy at the praise. It was nice to have someone to share results with, one to praise them sometimes.