Chapter 26 - 30

26

"This thing is all metal. I am afraid that the finished product might be too heavy or light. Want to try?" Yan Fei's gaze swept up and down the piece of metal.

Since Luo Xun had never worked solely with metal, he was unsure of the final weight. However based on the weight of the part in his hand...

"It should be fine if its lighter by a third. I won't be able to use it properly if it is too heavy."

"Well then." Yan Fei took the piece of metal, the other hand placed on top. The piece of material became one third lighter.

Luo Xun brightened in excitement at the surprising scene while holding the finished part. "This should be okay."

He looked to see Yan Fei's slightly tired looking face and hurriedly put the parts away. "That's all for today, wait until tomorrow to regain some strength."

Luo Xun was unclear if physical injuries had any direct impact on abilities. Anyway better to not let Yan Fei get too tired, better a thin but constant trickle of effort.

Yan Fei did not argue with him, smiled and handed over the remaining material in his hand. Luo Xun touched the pillow and fell asleep after working all day and cooking food for tomorrow.

Yan Fei laid on his side during the night, the room was well sealed so people could not see into the house. The sound of breathing on his left was heavier than before, obviously Luo Xun was tired.

Yan Fei silently closed his eyes after blinking in the darkness. He sank into dreams while listening to Luo Xun's breathing.

The first day of assigned work, if there were no special cases, the place would be the same. The army had repeatedly stressed this the morning before. So early next morning in front of the building they climbed back into the same numbered truck, just like the day before. Cold wind blew all the way to the wall building site.

Luo Xun found the place he worked at yesterday. With this kind of non-technical work, once familiar the speed of completion naturally increased.

Luo Xun occasionally bought hot soup due to the cold but the rest of his food was his own. His food was clean and nutritionally balanced, better than the given provisions. It was also convenient since Luo Xun cooked some meals in advance for Yan Fei.

After four days of hard work, his allocated section of wall had reached the required height. He was given another section once an engineer inspected and cleared his work.

A lot of new people entered the district in the past two days. However he also heard that the number of people in the small high-rise area were less than in the two older northern districts since those areas were more densely populated. So many people had been lost in the disaster.

The east cottage area was most brutally affected. The migrant workers of A-city lived there, most were small business owners or wholesale sellers, white collar workers. The doors and windows of Ping Feng district were not secure, high density and a disorderly narrow courtyard.

After the disaster there would be no place to hide. For poorer city workers, there would be a few people crowded into a few square meters of room.

Despite Wang Duo's superficial righteousness, he was actually an insatiable gossip who inquired about any news. The residents of Ping Feng district were almost completely wiped out, less than 10 people were rescued.

It was originally filled with dilapidated houses within the security perimeter so the army pushed for reconstruction. This sounded familiar to Luo Xun, he knew a place that had been transformed into a residential area with compact floors and seven storey high buildings but did not know the precise location after the apocalypse.