I Can't pt. 2

"See? Don't you feel a little better?" I sat next to Billie on my little porch out back, allowing her to lay on my chest.

She holds the mug in her hand, not really saying anything. After her shower, I dressed her in my grey long sleeved and white shorts and made her come and sit outside with me. Totally not her style, I know, but I just had to grab the first thing I saw.

She was in the mood. I could feel it, she was in the mood to break free from the depressive episode.

I ran my fingers through her wet, tangled hair before saying, "I'll be back."

I jumped up from my spot and went to go grab a brush and my fuzzy white blanket. I think a sunset on the lake will definitely lift her spirits. After grabbing everything, I headed back to the back porch to see her already sitting on the ground, waiting for me. She sat there carefully sipping the hot tea I made her, looking at the sun setting.

I smiled and sat on the couch, right behind her as I carefully unknotted her hair.

"Why do you do this for me?" She asks quietly.

I put the brush down on the table and motioned for her to follow me out to the hammock.

We both lied down in it before I spoke, "Don't ever think I wouldn't do this for you Billie."

She sighs and sits up, looking out into the lake as the sun touched the water.

"I think I might be able to go home soon," she says.

I sit up and wrap my arms around her, "You're right, soon you will be able to. Just not yet."

She groans in protest, "But I've made progress."

I shake my head, "You took a shower because I forced you. When you can take one on your own and dress yourself, then we will go home."

She looks back at me and rolls her eyes. I raise my eye brows at her, she knows I'm serious. She shakes her head and motions for me to lay down with her as we both rock in the hammock, watching the stars come to life in the sky.

***

     "I think she's doing a lot better," I say in between bites.

I'm currently eating a granola bar, walking back and forth in my kitchen. It's been about 2 weeks since Billie has wanted to make herself better, and she's really improved.

"That's great! Has she stopped having nightmares?" Claudia asks.

She's currently editing her new vlog for this week while catching up with me.

     "Well, yes but when she has them she normally just comes and crawls into bed with me. She's finally been able to sleep alone lately which is nice," I say.

Billie was currently taking a bath, in the master bedroom.

"Well, we got your bed rest set up, and I thought Finneas's old night stand looked really good with the colors in your room you know, just the little splash of wood really makes it come together," She said.

I couldn't help but smile, this is actually real. After all this time, I finally had a family.

"Sounds good, I'm actually kinda nervous, moving in and all. I guess it's different then packing a bag and staying a couple weeks," I ramble.

It all just kind of happened. I made a stupid little song, sent it to Finneas like any other fan would do you know? But he actually read it and liked it so we started talking and producing music here and there. We got super close and decided to meet up and well, he figured out my home situation. Not that my parents are bad they just... aren't ever home and sometimes forgot to like, provide for me.

Finneas made me stay with him and Claudia for a couple of weeks, do online schooling and such. After a good six months, it was easy for me to say that they were home. Before the house was built, I would skip around between Finneas apartment and Claudias, and sometimes I would go and stay at Billies with Maggie and Patrick, it really just depended on the week. I hated home hoping, I felt like I was invading their life but really, they came to love me as their own.

Although they never officially adopted me, I love them as my own parents. It's not even like they are my parents though.. they are like my best friends. And Billie and me have always been close, she's always been there for me. I've always been there for her, obviously, as I've been helping her for the past couple weeks.

"You know that me and Finneas are so excited to have you here with us. You're family now y/n." She says.

"I love you," I say.

I heard a thud coming from the bathroom. I drop my granola bar on the counter, "Hey Claudia I have to go I'll call you later."

I slid my phone in my back pocket and ran into the bathroom to find Billie on the floor, wincing.

I get on my knees and inspect her ankle and sigh, "What happened?"

She looks up at me and giggles, "I was trying to get out of the bathtub because I heard you on the phone with Claudia and I wanted to talk to her."

I hesitate and smile, shaking my head, "You just got up too quickly, here get dressed and come out I'll check your ankle."

I walk out of the bathroom and into the kitchen to make some coffee for me and her. We have been sitting in the living room and watching The office in the evening lately. It was a great routine for her, she was finally being able to feel again. I'm pretty sure next week we will be able to go home. Which, I wasn't sure how to feel about for myself.

Billie comes out of the bathroom in a red sweater and white soft shorts, jumping onto me. "Oof! Billie what is it?" I say with a laugh.

She clings onto my side, hugging me. I hug her back, pulling away from the coffee mugs. She sighs heavily, "I love you y/n."

I run my fingers through her wet hair, "I love you too. Ready to go watch some Netflix?"

She pulls away and nods as she grabs her cup of coffee.

I grab mine and follow her into the living room where she was already cuddled into my grey blanket, saving me a spot next to her. I grab the remote and sit down, as she leans into me. I was proud of her for being able to bring herself out of this. It took a lot less time than expected this time. I just really hope no one else is going to try and pull her back into a depressive mode again...