Chapter 18

"Maki...." You whispered. You closed your eyes. You knew this was going to happen, but it didn't make things hurt any less. Tears welled up in your eyes and one fell down your face.

"Looks like the killing game has started." Rantaro said 

"

Soon after that, the others came rushing in. Tsumugi screamed. Everyone continued voicing their thoughts about Maki's death.

"Can someone explain the meaning of this?" Kirumi asked.

"Nah. No explanation will be necessary. Thanks to the First Blood Perk, there won't be a class trial. With that said, if you're the blackened that killed Maki, raise your hand!" Monokuma announced.

There was a bit of fighting amongst all of us, but like you had already known, no body raised their hands.

"Looks like the blackened has no need for the First Blood Perk. They would rather do a class trial!" Monokuma announced, he then once again briefly explained the class trial again and then told us to investigate.

"So long! Bear well! The monokubs bid us farewell after their departure.

As soon as Monokuma and the Monokubs departed, everyone immediately started arguing and accusing each other.

"Wait. This isn't we should go about things. It's unfortunate Maki died but arguing isn't going to help us conduct a serious investigation. We need to work together." Rantaro commanded, causing arguments to cease immediately.

"Investigating is the same thing as not trusting each other!" Miu argued.

"No, it's completely different from what Monokuma wants us to do." Shuichi spoke up, "He wants us to throw accusations at one another, and lose all trust in each other. We can't let him do this. We need to investigate this murder not because we don't trust each other, but because we do."

Wow Shuichi... way to go! 

Turns out I wasn't the only one who thought Shuichi needed some congratulations for that speech. 

"You can leave it to me! I'll catch the culprit in no time!" Kokichi suddenly cheered.

Kaede's the culprit. I wonder if I should take over the trial... or if I should just let Shuichi finish it like he did before. But I wanna finish this trial as soon as possible... 

"Well let's get to it." Keebo stated—breaking through your thoughts. 

"Hmmmm? This isn't the mood I was expecting!" Monokuma appeared out of nowhere. 

How do they just appear and disappear like that? This makes no sense..... 

"I have the Monokuma file! It's a detailed report about the dead body! But no major clues that would point towards the blackened otherwise things would be too easy!"

You graciously accepted the monokuma file that Monokuma handed to you and started scrolling through. It was information that you already knew for the most part. It didn't reveal Maki's true talent though. 

You listened as everyone made suggestions about how to ensure that the investigation process goes smoothly. Just like before, you all agreed to search in pairs so that the killer could not tamper with the evidence. 

"It's the mastermind's fault." Kaede suddenly announced. 

"Mastermind? I'm sorry, what are we talking about?" Keebo questioned. 

"Kaede, please explain to all of us, and spare us no detail." Kirumi requested. 

And so, Kaede and Shuichi explained their plan to the rest of us.