Chapter 52

Nighttime was approaching, many attempts at an escape had passed and left everyone injured. You had managed to introduce yourself to everyone you hadn't met earlier during this time. Of course, it was mostly because you were trying to help them take care of their injuries. 

Monokuma and the Monokubs had already made their visit and left everyone with mixed feelings about the ability to complete the road. Yet Kaede and everyone else pressed on. You had even joined one of the times, to avoid suspicion, but Shuichi had gotten injured early on and you ended up helping him back to the beginning. 

"Thanks (Y/N)," Shuichi said as he used you as a crutch. "I can't help but feel like my talent is useless in situations like this." 

"Don't say that!" You argued, "I'm sure you're a great detective Shuichi, you just need more confidence in yourself. Besides, if we ever need to strategize about another way out of here, I'm sure you'll be the first one to come up with a good plan. A smart one too." 

"I'm not sure..." Shuichi mumbled, "But thank you (Y/N)." 

You smiled at Shuichi, "No problem Shuichi. It's times like these that working together really counts."

The rest of the way back the two of you were silent. Although when you finally stepped into the clearing, Kirumi was already there waiting. "More injuries? Come here Shuichi let me give you an ice pack for the bruise... if only there was a way to require some better pain relief." 

"What you're doing is more than enough Kirumi." You said in reply, while Shuichi nodded his head in agreement. Shuichi sat down as he began to ice his bruises, and you continued to help Kirumi with everyone else. 

And soon enough, everyone had arrived back. It was around the fifteenth attempt they had finished. 

"We can't give up! This time we'll surely complete it!" You heard Kaede shout encouragingly. You quickly glanced over to where Kokichi was... just waiting for him to snap. You waited and waited, and when a few minutes went by with absolutely no one saying anything to Kaede's encouragement, you wondered if there was going to be another try. 

"Kaede... I can't... go on anymore." Tsumugi muttered, finally breaking the silence. "It's impossible." 

"I have a ways to go before I could complete that..." Ryoma said. 

Kaede looked around helplessly, "No! We can't... we can't give up!" Again you glanced at Kokichi, waiting for the outburst to happen, but nothing. 

"Ding Dong Dong Ding. The time is now nighttime!" The announcement rang. 

Rantaro finally let out a sigh and spoke up. "Kaede, perhaps we should try later. After a night's rest and on full strength we can come back here." 

Kaede opened her mouth to argue, but whether it was Rantaro's reasoning or the tired faces of everyone else, she simply nodded her head. Meanwhile, you were freaking out on the inside. An entire, almost story changing scene with Kokichi did not happen. What's... what's going on? Why didn't it happen? Did Kokichi suffer a personality change after being knocked out?  As if you didn't have enough to think about. I need to figure out what's going on... 

"There are dorms for all of us, should we rest there?" Kirumi spoke up. 

"Yup! Sounds good to me! Man am I tired!" Kokichi said grinning, "Oh, and don't worry about (Y/N)'s lack of a dorm room, (Y/N) is staying with me." 

You opened your mouth to comment, but someone beat you to it. "Nyahaha! Atua thinks that is a divine idea!" Hearing Angie say that made you sigh, Angie... I'm really trying to give you a fresh start but I swear...