2|demotion

She greeted her father as soon she was at their house. Her father ignored her, but had left a scorching gaze at her as she walked inside their house. Her father hadn't accepted the fact that she was a Scout, she was a noble after all. Everyone expected that she will be part of the Military Police but Alyssa didn't want that, she wanted to see the Titans, she wanted to protect the people, and she didn't want to protect some useless king.

It was a tiring day. She wanted peace. She wanted the titans to be gone, even if it was only a day. She knew that one day, the walls will not be able to protect them, it might have been peaceful for years but they could not guarantee how long will it stand.

"There is an expedition. Gear up." One of the scouts announced. She immediately checked her blades, and put gas on her odm gear. There was the clanking sound when the scouts had went also to re-gas their gears. She also had checked if there was something wrong with her gear so she wouldn't expect to be malfunctioning while doing the expedition.

She had this weird bad feeling that she was uncomfortable with. She shook her head and as they headed out, she had ridden her horse as she hung her right leg in order to climb on it. The horse reacted by raising its two front legs.

"Easy, girl." She said and stroked its side to calm down a little. The horse was startled at the sudden contact with her. They waited for the gates to open, and as soon the gates were already wide open before them, the horses had already moved forward as soon as their reigns had intended them to move forward.

Unlucky titans, going to be slayed again.

-

Her eyes were wide like saucers. She had never expected that this will happen right now. She had expected it sooner or later anyways, but seeing this right in front of her had scarred her. Her heart seemed to stop beating and her ears were ringing. Her hands absentmindedly went to the sides of her gear, as she looked around it was not only her who had that expression, the majority of them had the same expression as hers.

"Oi, you will get eaten by a titan if you space out like that." An emotionless, authoritative voice had snapped her out of her spacing thoughts. It was a short man like her, with black hair styled with an undercut curtain, his eyes were scary enough as the dark circles were very visible.

"Right. Sorry." She said and before the man could open his mouth to scold her, she stood up from her horse with ease and pressed the trigger to let out the grapple hooks. She had one thing in mind at that moment as she soar higher along with her comrades, their capes with the wings of liberty imprinted on it.

Kill the titans.

-

The houses were unrecognizable. The wall had been breached, dead bodies that were trampled on the ground. She closed her eyes in despair, and went back to riding her horse as she entered the second wall with such heavy heart. Some of her comrades as well were in despair as most of their families had lived in Shiganshina District. She gritted her teeth so hard that she could hear them clearly.

Why is this happening?

-

On that day, humanity remembered the terror of being dominated by them and the shame of being held captive in a birdcage.

-

------

5 years later.

"218 trainees?" Alyssa mused. She was impressed at the number of trainees that have graduated at this point, she had expected that there were no people now interested on being a trainee due to the invasion of titans in Wall Maria. "That's impressive."