21|betrayal

—12 hours earlier—

"This seems pretty shit." Alyssa said checking the three documents. Her eyes narrowed. Levi watched her from afar. He was leaning as he checked how her eyebrows furrow in a curious frown. Her gray and brown eyes illuminate against the light of the room. Alyssa raised her head and waved at him with her little hand that made Levi feel warmth inside of him.

He just raised his hand and dropped it again.

"Hange, check this out." She said calling for Hange. Hange went to her and the both of them had serious look in their faces as their eyes followed every line seen in the document, connecting the dots on these three people. Alyssa looked at Eren and stared back at the document. "Do you think?" she asked slowly at Hange whose eyes were focused, it was calm.

"Yes, it's possible." Hange answered her.

"What's wrong, Vice-Captain?" Eren asked, seeing their expression, "Squad Leader Hange?"

"Ah, uh..." Alyssa started awkwardly, "We just got a hold of Annie Leonhart's background check,"

"Annie's?"

"Yeah." Alyssa answered. "The records are a mess right now so it took them forever to find this, but gladly with my connections they already found it. It says that two people from your class came from the same area as her." Alyssa continued and emphasized, 'your class', she was tired of the bullshit with Eren's class.

"The names of those two are Reiner Braun and Bertolt Hoover." Hange said. Once she said that all of them had a mild shock expression in their faces. Eren's lips parted. Levi was listening, watching closely.

"What's suspicious is, their records are either spotty or missing." Alyssa added. "Their family records at least." She added that, "During the expedition, each unit was given a different formation. Their unit was told that our position was on the right wing, and—" Alyssa paused and looked at Armin who was taken aback by the sudden stare.

He let out a gasp of realization, "That's where the Female Titan first attacked!"

"Huh? What does that mean?" Sasha reacted to Armin's continuation.

"It means they told Annie where to attack." Armin said slowly, Alyssa could feel the pain of betrayal in his voice.

"What? Why would they do that?" Sasha asked dumbfounded. Clearly she had no idea.

"Hey, wait a second, Armin." Eren said leaning forward. Alyssa tilted her head a little bit to the side and rose a brow at Eren who looked away from her and stepped back from Armin. Alyssa clicked her tongue in annoyance, it's already obvious. But she understood, it wasn't really easy to accept sudden betrayal after you have been with that person for so long.

Eren stepped forward again, and Alyssa did not try to stop him knowing how stubborn this child is, "But you can't go and—" he was cut off by Hange, not by Alyssa.

"We are aware, Eren. Circumstantial evidence alone doesn't prove anything." Hange said and Eren staggered back, his expression a while ago slowly faded. "That's why me and Alyssa want to know how those three interacted together during training."

That's where Eren thought that these two are not supposed to be underestimated.

"Remember anything?" Hange asked. Alyssa leaned in,

"It's pretty obvious already though, this records are clearly bullshit."

"You know how stubborn Eren is, Alyssa." Hange said in a tired voice. Hange agreed with her but she was just doing this to make Eren realize it. Armin was the one who answered saying that he knows that Reiner and Bertolt grew up together, but they weren't friends with Annie.