Ch.6 What a Night!

(Garrett's Pov)

It has been a while since Cress has fallen asleep on my shoulder. The last time this happened was when she was about 12. She had an argument with her brothers about not being able to go with them outside and have fun. She was upset and eventually ran into the forest.

I went after her because it wasn't really safe for her to be out in the forest at night by herself even if it was in our pack's territory. I found her lying in the grass staring up at the night sky. It was a beautiful night with the stars shinning brightly since we live in a more secluded area away from light pollution.

I remember how I hesitated to comfort her because when she's angry she could have quite the temper but was surprised at how she allowed me to sit down without a word.

We actually had a good conversation. She said that she wasn't mad at her brothers but was was more frustrated and irritated that she couldn't go outside of the pack's territory while her brothers could go into town with their friends.

She always had a different life growing up. She was more sheltered because of her status in the pack as the alphas daughter and that she was born different.

Without having a wolf she was protected by her parents and the elders because they worried about outsiders and other packs that could be a threat. But it only led to her being left out and marked as different.

It has been a while since I heard her talk about her troubles so when we have deeper conversations I always welcome them. I might be 19 but sometimes I enjoy reminiscing old memories with a friend.

Smiling down at Cress sleeping on my shoulder, I reached out to tuck a piece of her blonde locks  behind her ear that was shielding her face. She must have been physically and mentally drained to fall asleep on a blanket in the middle of the forest with me. Smiling, I looked at her sleeping soundly.

Her heartbeat was slow and steady as her chest raised and fell slowly. A  small smile graced her lips as she slept. 'How can she sleep like that, her neck must be aching from that position.'

Sighing I put my arm around her back and hoisted her onto my lap. Her petite body stirred and adjusted herself comfortably in my arms.

Then I stood up with minimal struggle. Once standing, I shifted her in my arms so I was cradling her like a baby. 'She does look like a baby. I can't believe how small she is.'

Chuckling, I started to walk towards the pack house. Leaving the book and blanket behind, I will have to ask a pack member to pick it up later. Since she already fell asleep in my arms, I decide to bring her to her own bed. It would be more comfortable than my shoulder.

As I neared the house, James and the twins started to make a ruckus as they ran towards the house. I quickly sent a mind link to them to be quiet because Cress was sleeping. I didn't want to wake her up so soon. She can get quite cranky when someone wakes her up suddenly.

The boys suddenly stopped as they looked in my direction. Understanding dawned on their faces as they saw Cress sleeping in my arms soundly. They know just how cranky she gets, she's like a bear who awakens early from hibernation. Jake gave me a salute as Jared nodded and they ran off into the woods.

James looked at me for a split second longer then gave a curt nod before he hurried off to catch up with the twins. Once they left I walked up to the Alpha's house and opened the door.

As I stepped into the house Cress's mother's scent of lavender and honey dew was very strong indicating she was nearby. I walked by the living room and saw the Alpha's wife sitting on the rocking chair reading a book.