Ch. 28 Practice

*****Thank you all for reaching 700 reads! In celebration of ending finals, here is an earlier than excepted chapter. I still won't be able to upload until the beginning of June, but I hope you all enjoy!!!*****

Over the next couple of days, I constantly worry about the Werewolf Games happening in a couple of weeks. I know it's not like I am vying for a big position I just don't want to fail right away. That would make me seem weak, right?

Gratefully, my worry hasn't turned into a panic attack yet since Garrett has been my fighting coach during these past few weeks. In the third werewolf game, we have to fight in human forms using hand-to-hand battle.

I am very satisfied with Garrett's teaching ability, but I still feel that something terrible will happen when I fight. Maybe I should ask him if we could practice every night up until the games start. He'll do that right?

My parents and brothers are too busy to help with all their pack duties which I understand. I had Finn teach me a fighting lesson once when Garrett couldn't teach me. Let's just say it ended badly.

Walking out of the Chief's house, I went across the street to sit on the park bench. My parents added multiple park benches throughout our pack so that couples and families could stop and enjoy the environment.

As I waited by our meet up spot, I took a drink out of my blue hydro flask on the ground. I always get really thirsty when I am nervous. It's hard to tell if it's a good or bad habit.

Every Tuesday and Thursday afternoon, Garret teaches me some fighting skills after his job training the warriors. He's actually a really good teacher and I feel as if I have improved in these past weeks but not enough.

I look up and the sun catches my eye. It looks as if it is just balancing above the trees before plunging down into darkness. My skin appreciates the last bit of warmth the sun's rays give. I just sit and enjoy the last warm rays of the sun before it gets even colder now.

Just as I was caught up in my thoughts, a figure loomed in front of me blocking out the sun. Immediately missing the warmth, I raise my head slightly and look up familiar at the broad silhouette standing in front of me.

Smiling I stood up saying, "Isn't it nice out. The suns really warm. I'm going to miss it when winter comes. Okay! Ready to train me? Let's go!"

I rushed my words so fast that I can practically see the gears in Garrett's head trying to process what I just said.

He disregarded my nervousness probably sensing that I am not in the right mind to take his sense of humor. He probably would have responded with, "Are you practicing to be a rapper?"

"Ready? Let's go to the clearing," he said with an encouraging smile sensing my stress as he set off.

"Yep, let's go!" I said quickening my step to catch up with him. My short legs have to walk extra fast to keep up with Garrett's long ones.

Walking next to Garrett, I thought about all the things that could go wrong. I am a worry wort and my parents have told me that worrying won't ever solve the problem, but I just can't help it.

Along the way, I greeted a couple of our elderly members out on their afternoon strolls. A couple of girls passed by while giggling when they saw Garrett. I mentally rolled my eyes as I watched as the young girls looked at Garrett with their eyes filled with puppy love.

Although, I'm pretty sure that I would have acted the same when I was their age but not visually show it. I'm someone who will never show my feelings if I liked someone.

As I was distracted by people watching I didn't see that Garret stopped just outside of the clearing and ended up bonking my head into his back. Taking a step back, I rubbed my head.

Garrett turned around facing me with an amused smile he said, "Cress, ready to practice?"

I nodded my head not believing in my voice at the moment as worries overtook my mind. It just took one glance at Garrett's concerned face to figure out that I am bad at hiding my emotions.

"Cress, can you to tell me your thoughts before we can start. You need to have a clear head to concentrate."

"Okay." I fumbled around with my fingers feeling shy under his intense attention.

He folded his arms across his chest waiting for me to answer him. Gosh, he's serious about telling my thoughts to him.

"I just don't want you to get hurt because you can't concentrate."

I nodded my head. Okay I can do this. It's not awkward to tell him about my childish worries at all. Sarcasm noted.

"We'll for starters I'm afraid of fighting. What if I don't do well. What if I get a concussion or worse die!" I said gradually getting hysterical with each word. Now I am starting to scare myself even more, calm down Cress!

With a sigh he said adamantly, "What are you saying? Thats silly. I'm sure you'll do fine."

He took one last step, and he gave me side hug, reassuring me. I feel as if I could just sink into his comforting embrace. His tranquil breathing and positive words finally calmed me down.

"It's okay. You have me to train you, and nothing will go wrong," he said whispering into my ear as he patted my head.

Pulling away as quickly as he came, he ruffled my hair one last time before leading me towards the open field. He was always one to give comforting words.

It was like that back then too. When we were kids, he was always standing in front of me protectively from pack bullies. Kids will be kids.

The impression of his sturdy shoulders has left a particularly strong memory. It gives me a sense of protection. He was always there just like my brothers.

I followed him to the clearing and set my water bottle down on the ground. Facing him, he stood about 10 feet away from me. He crouched down into a ready position, and I mimicked his position. I always feel awkward squatting down into this defensive position.

"Okay, Cress!" He excitedly exclaimed, clapping his hands together to get my attention.

As if he needs to hold my attention. I am scared just thinking about what new move he will use on me today. It's not like I was trained properly in fighting skills since I mostly learned safety moves.

"I want you to lunge at me and try to get a punch in as if I am a bad guy," he announced.