Ch. 10 The Aftermath

A loud noise startled me awake from my deep slumber. The events from last night are still fresh in my mind. Squinting my eyes, I looked over at my alarm clock. In bright red numbers it said 6:50. Sighing, I hit the off button and threw the covers off of me.

Stretching my arms up to the sky, I prayed in my head hoping for a good day. I wish that I can go through the day without any little mishaps. A smooth day is all I want but I know that is stretching it a bit. Who am I kidding? Something will happen when living with wolves. 

Going over to the closet I picked out a cute blue top and shorts. Then checked myself over in the mirror and once I deemed myself presentable, I started my trek down the stairs. I am not much of a morning person.

Once nearing the kitchen, I heard hushed voice talking quietly in an attempt to not disturb those sleeping. Then realizing that they are our pack's carpenters who will remodel our kitchen I slowly walked in not wanting to disturb them. Dad must have had them give our kitchen a makeover from the disaster the previous night.

Stepping into the kitchen, the attention was immediately turned to me. Six pairs of eyes looked directly at me before bowing in acknowledgement and respect of my status in the pack. Smiling at them shyly, the two pack members bowed their heads at me before dismissing themselves from the Chief Alpha.

"Good morning Cress. Did you sleep well last night?"

"Good morning Dad, and yes I slept pretty good last night." 

My father smiled once he heard that the events from last night didn't disturb my sleep. However, the smile on his face didn't remain too long before he looked around the kitchen and sighed. He then sat down on the kitchen stool and started to look at multiple new designs for the kitchen repair.

 I guess my dad stayed up all night cleaning the kitchen with help. It is completely bare except for a lone refrigerator and a foldable table that was probably brought in from storage. 

His raven black hair wasn't in a braid but left to trail down his back. It is rare to see my dad with his hair down from its usual hairstyle. My dad raised his head to look at the door before I heard the door open. My mother walked through with a dish of egg bake. She probably went to one of the pack members house to bake it since our kitchen isn't usable at the moment

With a big smile on her face, my mother greeted me before setting container on the foldable table. My father got up from the stool and let my mother sit down before standing behind his wife. He pulled a loose lock of hair away from my mothers face. She gave a soft smile that brought brightness into my fathers tired eyes.

My heart melted at the sight of my parents' love for each other and the little things they do for each other. My mother leaned forward giving my dad a light peck on the cheek before sitting down. Taking the stool across from my mother, I sat down too.

After grabbing myself a paper plate and fork from the middle of the table, I started to eat. The delicious smell made me hungry all of a sudden. It smells so good that I can't help but start eating before my brothers come in.

Starting up a conversation my mother asked, "Cress sweetie, were you able to get your homework done last night after all that happened?"

At those words my heart stopped and I looked up at my mom with wide eyes. "Shoot! I forgot to do my homework!" I quickly got off my stool, almost falling off in the process and continued to run up the stairs. 

Calling after me she said, "Be careful! I am sure it's fine to forget on the first day." 

In a hurry, I grabbed my backpack and shoved all my books and pencil pouch into it. I forgot that I took them out yesterday but never started on my homework.

How can I be so careless and on the second day of school, nonetheless. I hurriedly walked down the stairs and into the kitchen where I started to work on the questionnaire worksheet for Environmental Science. It is on what we know and don't know before starting the class. 

The teacher explained to us that it will be used to measure how much we learned between the beginning and the end of the year. It is on what we know and don't know before starting the class.

Just as I was about done with the questionnaire, Jared and Jake walked in through the kitchen door.  Glancing up from my plate, something seems different about them. 

Looking at them closely, I realize their posture is slightly droopy and the dark rings around their eyes pop out.

They must have had a very uneasy night. I wouldn't blame them because it must be troubling that they weren't able to control their wolves at such an age. 

They are turning 18 this year and have had their wolves since they were 11. Children with the alpha gene shift into their wolf form younger than most do.

They look calmer than last night but the thought that they almost harmed their own must've sister took a toll on them. As an alpha wolf, protecting the weak and their family is their number one priority and they almost lost control.

It is common for young Alpha werewolves to lose control but it was my brothers first time and I think that has had a negative effect on them. Taking a seat next to me, Jake reached over to grab a plate and piled on the egg bake until it looked like a mountain. 

However, Jared walked past us and up the stairs. Feeling disheartened I asked, "Is Jared okay?"

Putting down his fork he said, "Yeah, he's fine Cressie don't worry about him. Just has a lot on his mind." In an attempt to assure me he smiled softly. 

"Ok, that's good then." Not knowing what else to say, I started to eat my breakfast while finishing up the worksheet. The whole kitchen became quiet as everyone ate.