Ch.34 The First Test Mishap

"HONK!"

Startled, my blue toothbrush fell into the sink just as I was about to brush my teeth. Ugh. Picking up my toothbrush, I quickly brushed my teeth before Jake banged on the bathroom door loudly.

Jake shouted, "Cress are you ready yet? We will drive you to school so hurry up! Oh-don't forget to bring a pencil and your water bottle for the test."

"Ok," I mumbled before spitting into the sink, throwing my toothbrush into the drawer and opening the door.

With my brother standing there he impatiently handed me my backpack before heading out to the car. I grabbed my water bottle from the kitchen and walked up to the truck.

Jared leaned out the passenger window saying, "Well if it isn't miss tardy. We were supposed to leave five minutes ago."

"Sorry," I said as I opened the passenger car door and hopped up ignoring the fact that I barely hauled myself up. Why do my brothers have to raise their truck up so high.

Jared started the truck and it rumbled to life. On the way to school, it felt as if butterflies were fluttering inside my stomach making it hard to recall all the information I studied over the weekend.

I can't believe today is the first test. I have to sit in a testing room for two hours taking the werewolf test. My mother gave me her old notes that she took for the test so I could study with them before the test. However, I don't know how much it will help me since every year they add new questions.

"Cress," Jake questioned as he shook my shoulder slightly. Wakening from my spiraling thoughts, I look at Jake noticing his concern for my inattentiveness.

Not wanting to worry him before he takes the test, I smiled saying, "Oh, I didn't notice that we arrived."

Before my brother inquired more about it, I hopped out of the truck with my bag and water bottle before walking towards the school. With my brothers standing by my side, I feel as if I could do anything especially taking a test.

But too soon we had to part as they were seniors, and I am only a sophomore. The seniors start their test in 30 minutes while I start mine in 8. After saying our goodbyes and good luck's I headed to room 405 on the third story.

I walked past the elevator towards the stairs since an "Out of Order" sign in bold red words was taped to the doors. Just my luck.

Most of the students already settled down in their classrooms preparing mentally for the test, whereas I am still going to class. I am quite known in my friend group to be tardy to special events even back at home. So, it's no surprise.

Looking at the winding staircase, I took a deep breath and walked up the steep staircase. You would think that they would remake the concrete steps to be wider and easier to climb. But I guess it wasn't designed for humans who get winded easily to use.

Once I finished the third winding staircase, I stopped to take a breath. Adjusting my backpack, I continued the trek.

I shuffled to the other side of the staircase when another student started walking down the staircase. The boy wore a black hoodie with the hood up as he looked at the stairs as he came closer to me.

I wouldn't think twice of this student if it weren't for the fact that he was heading straight towards me. I was just about to hug the railing before a hand reached out towards me. Shoving me away from him, away from the fourth floor.

Just as I was falling backwards, I closed my eyes and prepared for the fall. Giving a silent prayer wishing that I wouldn't  break my neck on the steps. Come on, of all days, I need to complete my test.

However, instead of feeling a sharp pain all around, I was stopped mid-fall with my arms stretched out wide trying to grab onto anything. Feeling something rough on the middle of my back, I opened my eyes turning my head to the side. There was my hero, Aiden.

Where did he come from. There stood Aiden, balancing perfectly on his right leg as he extended his left leg to hold me up from falling. The scene somehow looked odd.

I stood there astonished that he only had to use one foot to stop my fall. I'm grateful for his help but at the same time why couldn't he use his hand to stop my fall?

"Are you going to keep leaning on my foot or do I have to stand like this all day," Aiden exclaimed with amusement.

"Oh! sorry!"

He just gave me a grin as if he was laughing at my situation. I gave a slight pout to the fact that he would find humor in this.

Straightening my back, I took a step forward to balance myself. I took a second to think about what would have happened if he wasn't here.

Forgetting all about the boy that pushed me, I turned to Aiden expressing my gratitude, "Thanks for helping me. I don't know what would have happened to me if I fell."

He was about to reply, before I watched his eyes turn dark. They turned as dark as coal as his wolf started to take over.

I thought he was mad at me before I realized his eyes weren't fixed on me. They were staring at someone behind me.

I turned around just in time to see the teenage boy with the black hoodie frozen in place as he stood in horror looking at Aiden. His arm is even frozen in place from when he pushed me.

Aiden slowly walked up the stairs like he was stalking his prey. I watched as the scene of a predator stalked its prey ensued. The black hoodie guy backed up mumbling a quick sorry before running away from us back up the stairs.

Aiden turned around to me with a slight reassuring smile before saying in a calm voice, "Go if you still want to be on time. The test starts in 3 mins."

I nodded my head and turned to head down the stairs. Just as I stepped off the last step, I turned around to say thank you again to Aiden, but no one was there.

That meant only one thing. He probably went after that boy. I grimaced as I thought of what might happen, but I had bigger problems.

Aiden can hold his own in a fight, but that boy seemed no match for Aiden. I don't think that Aiden would hurt him but scare him, right?

Not having time to worry about what Aiden is going to do, I thanked him silently before running down the hall to room 405. I can't miss the first test.

Thanking Aiden again in my mind, I ran to the room. I have about 3 minutes to get there before I am disqualified.