Ch. 16 Why did I never find you to be irritating?

One time about three years ago, I lured my guards into my closet by telling them I needed to have my blanket so I would be able to sleep. Once they walked in my closet, I quickly closed the closed door and locked it.

I was able to get outside without them for about 10 minutes before I heard a big crash coming from my room. They broke through my closet and came running outside.

I was in big trouble that day and my parents grounded me for a week. I learned after that not to go against my parents when it comes to my safety. Although I do try to get out of it before I am assigned a guard now after that situation.

The Luna pondered her daughter's request for a moment before coming to a conclusion. I looked up at my mother with big doe eyes trying to beg.

"Alright. I'll tell the guards they aren't needed at the moment but if anything does happen, they are at your side in an instant."

Beaming with happiness I said, "Thank you!"

However, just as I was about to give my mom a thankful hug she said, "Under one condition."

Stopping in midair, my arms hung limply not wanting to go into a victory hug too soon. With my heart fluttering like a hummingbird, I waited intently for the condition.

"Garrett, would you mind going with Crescent on her hunt for trees. I will give you permission to gauge how much time she needs to complete the assignment. You will be the judge of how far Cress can go into the forest. If at any time she isn't listening to you, or you think there's danger come back right away!"

"Mom, I am not a child! And he won't want to come with me anyways since it's going to be boring. Right Garrett?"

Looking over at Garrett hopefully, I gave him the cutest smile I could muster up. I added a couple of goofy winks so he would catch on and agree to my argument. Anyone would think that I am overreacting about having a guard, but I just don't enjoy guards.

They never respond to any questions I ask them even when I threaten them with my parents. They are just boring, and I am too old to bother them from their work in this pack anyways.

For a split second I thought I got my way but once he gave me a sly smirk, I knew it was over. He turned to face the Luna with his face void of emotion especially his smirk that irritates me very much at this moment.

"Luna, I will protect Cress and make sure that she doesn't go out of line. If I sense any danger, we will come back immediately." He sounded like a solder with his monotone voice, but he also seemed very serious about this task.

I gave Garret a sideways glance and scowled at him. Why does he have to ruin my plan. I was going to invite him along anyways. But now he will act like it's his job to follow me around like my shadow. It won't be any fun with him like that. I wanted to enjoy my time with him, especially without the pressure to please me parents.

He didn't even seem fazed by the amount of glaring that went his way. He just stood like a statue seemingly enjoying my sulking even more.

"Great! I'll leave it to you then. Cress. Make sure you listen to Garrett," my mother said pointedly like I would be a troublemaker.

Once my mother left, I turned to Garrett. Amusement danced in his eyes as he leaned against his car knowing that I lost, and he won.

I just glared at him not wanting to back down. If I do, I won't be able to live this day down. I turned my back to him in playful annoyance waiting for him to acknowledge what he did.

"I was trying to make it so that I wouldn't have a guard to follow me around. But there you go and make it so that you have to be my guard instead. I didn't want you to feel like this was an order."

Sighing. I was about to turn around before I felt my hair being messed up.

As I was trying to comb through my hair a wave of irritation fueled my anger. I was about to turn around to give Garrett a piece of my mind before I saw Garrett already walking ahead of me.

"Hey, where do you think you're going! I am not done with you yet! I..."

"Are you coming or not? We have 30 minutes for you to do your assignment."

Garrett glanced back with an innocent smile before he kept walking. Ugh. How can he be such a nuisance sometimes? Why did I never notice this quality of him before?

"Okay! Just wait."

I looked at the glistening Corvette with my backpack inside of it. As if mocking me just like it's owner. I glanced over at Garrett and saw him nearing the woods already. Why can't he just wait? Does he not have any patience.

"29 Minutes Cress!"

I gauged my options and just decided to take notes on my phone instead and started to catch up to Garrett. I will lose him soon if I wait too long since he obviously isn't.

Jogging up to match Garrett's pace I watched as he took long strides with little effort. His long legs seemed to mock me that I couldn't walk as fast. His footsteps seamlessly glided over the forest floor leaving nothing in its wake. Whereas I was crushing every twig and leaf with my stomping.

"Hey wait up! I never agreed to this."

I kept my eyes on the ground to make sure I wouldn't fall over one of the many tree roots that littered the ground. Because being me, I would do just that.

In that moment of not watching the silent werewolf in front of me, I bumped into an unsuspecting solid back.

"Oof" I started to fall backwards with the motion.

I really have to get better at watching all of my surroundings at the same time.

"Garrett!" I tried to grab onto his shirt but missed it by a sliver. Just my luck.

Just as I was about to fall on my butt, I felt a rush of wind as a blurry figure went past me. Then strong arms wrapped around me, holding me up.

I was balancing on one leg as Garrett cradled my back and shoulder. With a blush making its way onto my cheeks in embarrassment, I tentatively looked up. His sharp eyes bore into mine as if he was searching for something in them.