Ch. 25 Hierarchy

His brown locks were pushed back and hidden under his cap as he put it on backwards. He twisted the cap to face the front. Even when he conceals part of his face, it doesn't hide the fact that he's handsome.

I once asked why he only puts a cap on his head whenever he goes out into human towns. He said something along the lines of 'If he didn't, the women wouldn't be able to resist his handsomeness.'

I was surprised to hear that since it was the most narcissistic comment, I ever heard him say about himself.  Although, it's not a lie.

I know that many girls in our pack have pointed out his handsomeness whenever we would get together for parties or gatherings. Many of them have said that he looks even more handsome when wearing a cap.

I disagreed because I like his hair free, flowing in the wind. I didn't dare voice that out loud, though.

He doesn't grow it out very long but during winter he always lets it grow out. But it never reaches his shoulders unlike my brothers hair.

Not when all the girls practically drool over him like that. I never felt like I should tell them that I like seeing his slightly curly hair messy instead of being hidden.

He's not the only one who every unmated she-wolf has a crush on. I have heard many unnecessary stories of girls liking my brothers, James or Finn. I guess you would say that my friend group consists of the popular wolves.

I gave a sly smile knowing that he's not going to like my decision. Garrett narrowed his eyes at me realizing that he made a mistake by telling me to choose the place.

He knows me well enough to know that I would want to do something that I am not necessarily allowed to do. I never told him that I wanted to go into town when I asked him out.

"Lets go get ice cream!"

He evidently sighed in relief. He probably thinks I was talking about the small cafe that's in our territory. It is a 5-minute drive since its a small cabin towards the end of our territory. It sells ice cream and coffee drinks but I want to eat ice cream in a human's town.

"Okay, I can deal with that."

"But.. I want to go into town," I slowly said as I looked up at him pleadingly.

"Nope!" He said firmly looking at me.

"Awwe, come on! Just this once, please?" I said as I showed him the 20-dollar bill in my hand.

"My treat! Let's Go!"

I shouted before he could say no. I pointed out my window towards what I hope is the town.

"First of all, its that way.." he said before redirecting my hand to be pointing out his window instead.

I gave him a sheepish smile before shoving the bill into his hand and buckling my seatbelt. Haha he can't say no to that. Not when I am paying.

Sighing, Garrett put the bill into his pocket before twisting the key bringing his car to life. I smiled as I realized that he's going to take me to get ice cream.

"Your the best! You know that."

Garrett looked over at me with a small smile on his face before it went away, and all seriousness replaced it. It's a shame his smiles don't last very long.

"I already mind linked your mom and she said it's alright with her as long as you stay next to me." He said in a clear tone making no room for argument.

My mom could have just said for him to keep me within sight, but she really had to go as far as to tell him to be glued my by side. Well, that's my mom and I love her, but she can be overprotective sometimes. We're only going to get ice cream not wandering into an enemy's territory.

"Okay, I won't let you out of my sight."

He gave out a halfhearted laugh before saying, "That's what I should be saying, Cress."

On the whole ride there, I kept pointing at things outside of my window asking him what each store meant. I have never been to this town before and its intriguing to know that this is how humans live.

They don't live as a pack, but the setting is almost similar with all the buildings lined next together. However, there is a lot less togetherness than I would have assumed.

"Don't get too excited there Cress. Or you will scare the humans away."

I almost would have thought that he was being serious before I noted the joking side of his tone.

"Ha ha, very funny. I think you would scare them away before me." I said looking at muscular build to make a point.

He only grunted in response before quickly making a sharp turn into a small parking lot. At first, I was confused as to why we stopped in front of a small building. It had colorful frilling above the doorway before I noticed families milling around with ice cream. A little girl was on top of her father's shoulders as she licked a dripping ice cream cone.

"Oohhh, I want one of those." I said pointing to the big chocolate dipped cone that an older couple was holding.

"Just hang on, I will get you one."

Garrett started to get out of the door, and I realized with a sinking heart what he was going to do.

"Wait, no!" I said and quickly pulled Garrett clumsily back down into his seat.

"Oof. Ow Cress what are you doing?" Garrett said as he bumped his head on the ceiling of the car before sitting in an uncomfortable position in his car seat. His long legs not liking the position he's in.

"Sorry, but I am not letting you to go get my ice cream cone without me. I want to go with you to get my cone."

I said watching as Garrett's face turned to realization. Did he really think I was coming all this way for him to get me a cone instead. I want the whole experience.

"Crescent. Your mother said YOU aren't allowed outside of the car." He demanded as he pointed at me.

"Ooohh. You said Crescent. You're all serious now aren't you." I said sarcastically with a smidge of attitude as I pushed his finger away.

I immediately regretted the attitude. I must have taken that a little too far before I realized that I just disrespected Garrett. Not just the fact that he is my friend, but it is very disrespectful in our pack to be outright rude to a member of a higher position.

Even though I am an alpha's daughter, I don't have the hierarchy authority because I have no wolf. Everyone is respectful to me because of my birth parents but I don't have authority.

I was about to open my mouth to apologize before Garrett put his hand up silencing me. Stopping whatever nonsense, I would spew out.

He slowly put his hand down once noticing my caution knowing I wouldn't say anything more to anger his wolf. His eyes slowly turned back to its human color once he calmed down.

Well, calmed down more of his wolf since he doesn't like disrespect from someone younger in the pack. It's kind of cool to see the color changing of a werewolf's eyes as they transition from wolf to human taking control.

At a glance, anyone could tell just how much control Garret has over his wolf. Wolves have a very distinct hierarchy, and my behavior wasn't abiding to it. However, to humans this wouldn't be considered as important but to us it is.

He angled his head so that he was staring straight at me. I probably would have been more worried of getting in trouble, but ice cream was still on my mind. I also know he would never ever harm me.

Without looking away he explained calmly, "You can come with me, but you have to stay close to me. We are in open territory so it's any packs freedom."

I nodded by head before adding, "Sorry, I said that to you. I know that you would never do anything to deliberately upset me. I wouldn't do anything to deliberately upset you either."

He gave me a slight reassuring smile before getting out of the car saying, "I know you wouldn't Cress. Come on."