Ch. 14 Something's Wrong

I made minor corrections to this chapter. Please enjoy!

Because when he finds his mate, I won't be able to hang out with him like I am at the moment. She will probably be a very pretty she-wolf unlike me. The thought left a sour taste in my mouth.

I don't like change and the thought of everyone around me finding their fated one left me feeling empty. I know its selfish, but I don't want things to change.

I probably won't get a mate since it's very rare for a human to have one. Trying to push aside those unwelcome feelings I tried distracting my thoughts by saying.

"I bet Finn is going to freak out when he sees your car! He has always wanted a corvette but in the color orange."

The thought made me laugh and feel bad for Finn at the same time. He's left out once again for being the youngest guy in the group. Poor Finn.

Garrett smirked at the thought. Finn would go crazy once he realized he was left out on such a big piece of information.

The rest of the ride was smooth and quick. A comfortable silence ensued.

Rolling up to the pack's long driveway, I noticed guards stationed at the entrance. I wouldn't have noticed them if it wasn't for the flash of the silver metal in their hands. They were hidden pretty well in the dense forest with their camouflage uniforms.

However, the last thing I expected them to arm themselves with would be silver daggers. Silver daggers are extremely harmful to werewolves and are only used in extreme measures.

Even if it was just a pack dispute, they would use an iron dagger instead of silver since it can have deadly effects to the wolf. Killing another pack member could lead to a bigger war among packs which no Alpha would want to welcome more death.

And the thought that they were armed with such a thing made me scared. They only use such weapons against other wolves. They slowly came out of the woods as Garret slowed down to a stop.

"What's going on?" Leaning forward in my seat, I tried to see what was going on. My heart skipped a beat as I imagined the worst.

"Don't worry, it's just a precaution. The order was sent out to all the neighboring packs to have extra protection sent out."

Garrett patted my hand for a second before rolling down the window. His hand left a phantom feeling of warmth from where it rested just a moment ago.

I might have blushed at the action if I wasn't worried about the safety of our pack at the moment. The action wasn't even out of the norm for us anyway. Just a reassuring pat. It helped as my heart rate slowed down but the feeling of something wrong continued to gnaw at the back of my head.

Garrett leaned out the window, his figure seemed to be more intimidating. I just now noticed how big he looks in the small car. His build is definitely no joke, a plus side from being a werewolf.

The guard came forward and his expression evidently showed less stress once he saw Garrett in the car. Even the best guards were on guard. The thought of someone possibly harming their pack or family made them even more on edge.

Even though Garrett is only 19 he holds a lot of respect in the pack. He is even considered the fourth in command since he is the lead trainer for the warriors in station 3. They are experienced warriors who are good fighters. These men must be the lookouts stationed under the Beta's command, my uncle.

The older of the two guards came up to the car and bent slightly down to Garrett's level saying, "Garrett. There haven't been any sightings so far.."

Garrett gave a look that made the man quit what he was saying quickly in the middle of his sentence. So, they finished their conversation using the mind link.

It's a way to have private conversations without anyone eavesdropping. And might I tell you that shapeshifters and werewolves have wonderful hearing so it's very easy to have someone listen on your conversation without them even trying.

At first, I was wondering why the guard stopped talking but then I noticed the slight glazing over of his eyes which meant he was using the mind link. Once done with their conversation, the man glanced over at me and nodded his head in understanding at Garrett.

They must not want me to know what's going on. I guess I shouldn't ask. My father will tell me if he wants to. It's not like I am updated on every little threat either since I couldn't do anything to help in the first place anyway. They never said that directly to my face but I know everyone thinks that. It's just the truth but it hurts nonetheless.

Garret thanked the guard before continuing down the road. Glancing at Garrett from the corner of my eyes, I see that his hands are slightly gripping the steering wheel tighter than before. The whites of his knuckles started to show more prominently from his intense hold on the wheel.

I have learned to watch Garrett's body signals more than his expressions or the way he talks. He doesn't really express what's he's feeling and tries to cover it up pretty well. But I know that everything is more serious than everyone is letting on. They do this so they don't send out a widespread panic throughout the pack especially the mothers and children.

"Is everything okay in the pack?" I said barely in a whisper. Not daring to look over at him in his eyes. If I do I know he would tell me white lies anyways to comfort me which doesn't bother me as much when it comes to him.

Garrett looked over at me with a soft expression on his face. Trying hard not to alert Cress he relaxed his body and said, "Yes, don't worry Cress. It's just a precaution. Your father sent out the message to stay alert during lunchtime."

I just nodded my head in response. I know he doesn't intentionally hide stuff from me but rather doesn't want to scare me. I somehow felt better at his words, but I couldn't stop the feeling that something is terribly wrong, even if no one tells me.