Ch. 41 His Call

"Oh okay, sounds good!" I exclaim.

However, I keep sneaking glances over at my father as he goes to lay down onto the carpet in front of the front door. I stifle a laugh as I watch my father stare at us.

"Well, that's a funny sight to see. Isn't it darling," my mother softly says as she makes light of the situation.

My father only snorts in response and shakes his head as if he couldn't fully enjoy this moment like my mother. My mother gives my hand one last reassuring squeeze before she walks over to my father.

She kneels beside him and starts to rub his forehead in a circular motion. It's a practice that many she-wolf's use to calm down and reassure their mates in their wolf form.

It seems to be working since my father has resigned himself to laying his huge head on my mother's lap as she talks to him sweetly. I smile at my parents' loving behavior and realize it's the small moments in life that can bring a couple together.

Feeling as if I'm invading my parents' privacy, I turn around and go into our kitchen. I walk over to the refrigerator and pull out a carton of eggs and sausages.

I grab a pan and turn the stove top on to medium heat and crack two eggs into the pan adding three sausages. I wait a couple of minutes until my eggs are over easy and put them on a ceramic white plate.

My mouth waters as I set my steaming plate onto the table. My stomach growls and I quickly pour orange juice into my cup before settling down on a stool.

Taking the first bite, I instantly forget about almost being killed today. Well, not fully since the wolf in the mud room keeps reminding me of my situation.

After I cleaned up my lunch and did the dishes, I went up the stairs. My mother must have left to do pack business since my father was the only one sitting on the carpet.

As soon as I got into my room, I went into the bathroom to take a shower. I still can't get the image out of my mind of those two werewolves fighting to the death. If Aiden didn't show up, I think the orange eyed wolf would have gotten his way.

An unpleasant shudder goes down my spine. I look at myself in the mirror and notice the splotches of red blood on my shirt. I sigh and throw away my nice blue shirt into the garbage.

Once I took a much needed 20-minute shower, I lay on my back in my comfortable bed. I wore my fuzzy pajamas since the hot shower didn't warm my body for too long.

The coldness quickly came back and it doesn't help that my family likes to keep the house at a constant 68 degrees. Lately, I have noticed that my body gets cold easily.

It must be because of colder weather but I had my brothers buy me a heated blanket from the store Target in town. I have turned it on right before I go to bed, so I hop into a heated bed.

However, I get too hot throughout the night so I have found that I can't keep it on during the night. At least not until there's snow on the ground.

Just as I was 15 minutes into watching my new favorite tv show on Netflix my phone started to ring. Startled, I accidentally flung my phone across my room and onto my carpet.

I look dejected at my phone and scramble over to it, falling out of my bed in the process. Landing on my knees, I let out a yelp as a bruise is probably already forming.

I rub my knee almost forgetting about my phone before it rings again. So, I scramble over to my phone and grab it just in time as I see the caller ID reading GARRETT.

My heart beats faster as I slide the green call button to the right. A few agonizing seconds go by before I answer the caller.

"Hello?" I tentatively ask not knowing what else to say.

Why is Garrett calling me at this time? It's about 3:00 in the afternoon.

"Cress?" Garrett's says, his voice sounding a little strained and tired. Almost as if he's worried about the response coming from the other end.

"Yeah, it's me Garrett. What's up?" I immediately cringe at my choice of words.

What's up? Who even says that nowadays.

"Thank goodness. Are you okay? Your brothers told me a little bit of your situation at school today before ending the call in a hurry. I thought something happened to you."

"Yeah, I'm fine Garrett! Don't worry. My brothers and Aiden were there to handle the situation." I covered my free hand over my mouth as I remembered in horror that I never told Garrett about Aiden.

I hope he doesn't flip out. His reaction will probably be the same as my brothers were.

Garrett's voice becomes deeper as he questions, "Aiden? The Alpha kid from the Blood Moon' Pact?"

Not knowing how I would be able to swerve this question, I just resolved myself to tell Garrett about Aiden's involvement. So for the past five minutes I told Garrett about everything that happened from start to finish.

Well, minus the part about when Aiden was carrying me to the nurse's office. He doesn't need to know about that.

Garrett sighed in relief as he said over the phone, "Well I'm just glad you weren't hurt. Aiden seems like a good enough guy."

"Yeah, me too. And don't worry my dad has everyone in the pack on a look out and my brothers will come back with some information soon," I say not knowing if I'm trying to pacify my worries or his.

A loud noise comes through from Garrett's side and his phone starts to go in and out. Maybe he's in a bad reception zone.

"Are you okay Garrett. If you're in a bad spot I can call you back tomorrow?"

A few seconds pass and I start to worry. I'm about to ask him the question again before his voice comes clearly through my side.

"Sorry Cress. It seems like I have to go take care of something. I'll call you back again before your fight on Monday. I'm glad you're okay so try and stay out of trouble," Garrett jokes as he tries to lighten up our phone call.