Ch.42 A Prisoner

After ending the call with Garrett, an unpleasant thought stuck in my head from our conversation. What is Garrett really doing this week? Why is he the only one on the mission?

Trying to distract my mind, I walk over to the bookshelf and grab out an old photo album. I start to flip through the pages seeing a young, innocent child smiling up at me.

I smile as I turn the plastic film over to reveal dozens more photos. My mother took many pictures of my childhood and at the time I felt that she took too many.

However, I'm grateful to have these photos to look back on. I turn the page and see a photo of a 10 year old me eating watermelon with my friend group. I laugh as I realize my friend group was already starting to solidify back then.

I carefully take the photo out of the plastic slot to get a closer look at it. A group of 8 kids varying in ages sat together around a picnic blanket eating watermelon.

Finn is sitting next to Lilac holding two watermelon slices in each hand while Lilac spits her seeds onto the grass.

Rosaleen is by James trying to climb onto his shoulders. She used to have an obsession with piggy back rides when she was younger.

James doesn't look too happy but in the end he resigned to his fate and did a couple of laps around the pack playground with her on his back. Even though he may seem stoic he really loves his little sister and did almost anything for her.

My brothers sat next to James bickering about something. Not too long after this picture was taken my brothers turned into their werewolves for the first time.

They were pretty hot-headed for a while so I had to be extra careful when around them. Finally, there's me sitting in the middle of all the commotion.

A big mischievous grin was plastered across my face as I was trying to feed Garrett watermelon. Or should I say force-fed him.

He used to dislike watermelon and I am proud to say that I have cured him from disliking that certain fruit.

That was when he started to train with my father once he gained his wolf and my brothers became close with him. Those were good times.

A loud bang startled me awake from reminiscing old memories. A shout called out to me before hearing footsteps coming up my stairs.

I quickly close the photo album and scramble over to the door. The person loudly knocks on my door before exclaiming, "Crescent, I will be your guard for tonight. Alpha's orders. I am to relay the message to you that the culprit has been caught and was brought to the pack for questioning. You are to stay in your room for the time being!"

Stunned, I opened up the door and came face to face with a Viking of a man. My old guard, Owen.

His cold hard gaze looks down at me before he gave the slightest smile that seems like it pains him to do so. I give a slight awkward smile in return.

"So, your my guard for the rest of the night?"

Owen nods his head before straightening his back and letting his arms fall to his sides. He proudly stands in front of me as if he thought this was a very important role. It is for my parents.

Not just anyone can be my guard and trust me I know. I used to go through many guards until my father was satisfied with Owen.

"Huh, Okay Owen. I guess I'll stay in my room then," I quietly say before closing the door.

I go over to my bed and quickly text the one person that I know I can trust to tell me about what's going on. I quickly send a message to Finn reading:

Did you get a good look at the captive? Was it a woman, the nurse that has worked at our school this year?

Now all I have to do is wait. A few agonizing seconds pass before my phone dings.

I don't know about being the nurse but it's definitely a woman. She looks like she

is in a bad state physically and mentally. I also smelled a different scent on her, one that I never smelled before.

I instantly reply: Thanks Finn. I know I can count on you ;)

Huh, I wonder why Finn said the nurse looked like she was in a bad state. When I saw her earlier today she looked very healthy for someone who was going to murder a student. I wonder what happened to her in such a short period of time.

Feeling better now that the person was caught, I went over to finish my tv show before Garrett called. I know I can't do anything else for the time being but sit tight and wait. Although I have never been one to wait patiently.

(A couple of hours later)

After finishing the show, I turn over from my bed and look through the window. Night has settled casting shadows onto the bleak grass. Huh, I guess I have been watching my show for quite a while now.

My stomach growls loudly and I place a hand over my rumbling belly. Not knowing if my family is back yet from interrogation, I went over and opened up the door. Owen stood with his back facing me. He turns around with a stoic but questioning gaze.

"I'm hungry, what should I eat for supper?" I question out loud hoping he would allow me to go downstairs and make something to quell this hunger.

A meat pizza sounds really good right now! I can go grab a frozen pizza from our freezer downstairs. A quick and easy meal.

He nods his head, gesturing with his right hand out. I jump in excitement and walk ahead of him humming a tune. He follows me without question to the basement as I grab a frozen pizza.

Once upstairs, I immediately preheat the oven and sit on a bar stool to wait. I start talking to Owen but it's like I'm talking to a brick wall instead. I give up and go to put the pizza into the oven.

Right as I close the oven door, my brothers burst from the front door and comes into the kitchen. They look haggard as their clothes are muddy and torn up. They must have shifted into their wolves while chasing the nurse.

Jake comes over and says, "Cress, we need you to come with us to the interrogation room now. Father's orders."

I just stare at my brother not fully comprehending what he just said. He wants me to go see the one person I would rather not see for the rest of my life.

I softly respond, "Dad wants me to see the nurse?"

Jared walks over saying, "Yes Cress, we have to make sure she's the right person before sending her to the Counsil. This situation regards the whole werewolf society not just you."

I nod my head. I never thought this would affect everyone in the werewolf community. I guess it is one of the newest threats on our kind for years but why did it have to happen to me? I am not even an Alpha or beta. Why would I be the target?

"Well, I guess my pizza will have to wait!" I say with fake enthusiasm. 

I hope I can get this over with and come back to my pizza. Tomorrow is a busy day at school and I don't want to be tired for the second test.