Ch. 20 Lighter and Princess

He was looking around the storage room probably trying to figure out why someone else would come in and disturb his quietness. I just had to come in and disturb his tranquil moment.

His eyes slowly gazed back at me, almost in a calculating way. Quickly, I looked away before he noticed me staring.

Should I talk to him, it's not like I purposefully came in. I shouldn't be the one feeling like I intruded on his privacy, but it does feel that way. It doesn't help that since I have met him, he hasn't given a genuine smile yet.

After debating what I should say I finally gathered up enough courage to ask, "Do you remember me?"

I mentally facepalmed. What am I saying? Who asks if they remember you from a week ago?

The boy looked at me with a blank expression as he tried to guess who I was. He tilted his head to the side as he thought about where he could have seen me in this school.

Narrator (short pov)

Aiden contemplated where he met this girl who was looking at him with a worried expression. He could sense her anxiety and shyness from a mile away. Her stance was giving a false impression of confidence.

It could be because she just got locked in here but it's most likely because of his intimidating presence. He has a tendency to make people feel suffocated while being in the same room.

He also does 't necessarily have the best reputation in this school either. She has probably heard a couple of those foul rumors. Every rumor has some truth to it, but it's not worth going around and fighting every single person that made the rumors.

That would only make the rumors more true. It wouldn't make a difference anyways, everyone choses to believe what they hear.

Aiden studied her face wondering where he has seen her before. It's not like he goes around making a mental checklist of every classmate in this school. It's just hard to memorize every 3,000 classmates in the school.

(Cress pov)

I watched not daring to look away from his calculating stare. He pursed his lips until they turned white trying to remember who I was. I don't know why I found it necessary to ask him if he remembers me. It's not like I will ever meet him again.

However, I feel that we are somewhat alike. Him being the center of the rumors that ostracize him from society and me being the human.

I watch as he tries to remember me. He tilts his head to the side as he stares into my soul, well not literally. He reminds me of a puppy that will tilt its head when it finds something fascinating or is trying to figure something out.

Looking at him closely, he seems to look older than a lot of students at the school. The oldest a person can be at this school is 20 years old, so I wonder if he was one of the few who were held back. It's rare but not unheard of.

Maybe he's even older than my brothers but he doesn't seem as old as Garrett. He raised his eyebrows at me before a slight smile graced his features.

Oh no, he caught me staring at him. However, with just that one smile, he looked less intimidating, and it almost made him look more good looking. Huh, who could have known just one smile could have that effect on the receiving party. Maybe he should smile more often.

"Oh yeah, I met you in the cafeteria. You are the girl who fell into my arms," he stated in a matter-of-fact way.

I grimaced at the remembrance. I'm just grateful that he didn't feel the need to ask questions about why I slipped.

"Yeah, that was me." I sheepishly said smiling d trying to hide my embarrassment.

A warm deep chuckle surprised me as he said, "Well, that's one special way to meet."

"Ye.. Yeah I guess it was."

"Well then. Since we're stuck in this storage room together, we might as well get to know each other. We don't know how long we will be in here for, not until someone notices we are missing."

I septically narrowed my eyes at him not knowing his intention. Who knows what's going through his mind.

He must have caught on to my hesitation and realized the thoughts that might be going through my mind. He looked away in slight embarrassment before saying, "I mean we should ask questions."

Feeling awkward, I quickly said, "Sure."

There's nothing worse than awkward silence.

(10 minutes later)

After a while of going back and forth asking questions I got to know a little bit more about him. He isn't necessarily the easiest person to talk to. Especially when he gives such short answers.

All that I learned about him is that he likes the color black, spends his free time in the pack training room working out and his hobbies is sparring. Nothing surprising there I guess, he is pretty muscular after all. Almost as muscular as Garrett.

I have told him everything that I like from my favorite color being blue, to having 2 brothers, being the only daughter, and the fact that I like reading and gardening when I am not spending time with my friends and family.

Suddenly Aiden took something silver from his pocket once we finished out conversation. "Click."

I watched as a red flame came to life. He has a lighter.

"You're not supposed to smoke in here."

"Who said anything about smoking?" He asked feigning confusion.

I pointed at the lighter in his hand that has been making clicking noises as he opened and closed the cap to the silver lighter.

"Ahh, this? I don't have any cigarettes on me at the moment. Do you smell smoke?"

I secretly tried to sniff the air but realized I didn't smell any odors besides the storage room. He's got me there.

"There's your answer Princess." He grinned as he said my newly given nickname.

His grin didn't seem menacing but somewhat friendly. Although I can't help but think he was slightly mocking me too. Sure, I did tell that he shouldn't be smoking, but firstly against the rules and secondly bad for your health.

Especially when I am the one who would get lung cancer instead of a werewolf. This got me slightly mad at his inconsideration leading me to blurt another thing out loud.

"I'm not a princess. And smoking is bad for your health." I indigently said.

I don't know what's overcoming me to speak so boldly to him. I can't tell if I like this me with him or not.

I don't even know the guy. He even looks like the type that would be part of a gang in the human novels that I read. Are there even werewolf gangs?

Just then I noticed that he has a dark tattoo peeking out from his shirt's collar. I can't see much of the intricate design, but it surely is there.