Ch. 40 The Pack

As we pulled into the long driveway of our pack, wolves slowly crept out from the cover of the forest and positioned themselves so they were flanking the car on both sides. My father's wolf came out to stand in front of our car, making Finn stop the car. 

Finn stared at the Alpha, before nodding his head in confirmation. My father must've mind-linked Finn telling us to follow him. The big black wolf turned his head away from the car towards the pack houses.

Finn continued to drive the car and we reached the Chief's (Alpha's) house in no time. I stayed in the passenger seat waiting for instructions. I looked around in awe as all the wolves followed my fathers command making a protective circle around the car.

Turning to me Finn announced, "The Alpha said we can get out of the car now. It's safe."

Finn opened his car door without another word and I followed in suit. I closed the door gently scared of slamming it. My brothers always reprimanded me for slamming car doors.

Slinging my backpack over my shoulder, I walked over to my father in his wolf form. He stood proudly with his wolf shoulders dangerously straight as if he would pull a muscle any moment.

The powerful black wolf lowered his face so that his nose was level with mine. He sniffed the air before rubbing his giant, fluffy head against my shoulder. 

The motion seemed like a parent worried for his daughter but it is far from the truth. Not only is this his way of showing concern but it also pacifies the anger that's probably building up inside of him and his wolf.

Feeling the hot breath on my face, I smiled saying gently, "I'm fine father. Look I'm not harmed, just slightly alarmed at what happened. But no worries, everyone handled the situation fine."

I tried to assure my father not knowing what will happen if I stay quiet at a time like this. I've never had something like that happen to such an extent of almost being harmed. Worst, killed.

I shudder at the thought and try to think happy thoughts. I can't show my weakness, not in front of everyone.

My father nods his wolf head since he can't speak to me in this moment. He growls, giving a command to all the warriors surrounding us.

In a split second, the warriors  make a line from the car to the house. My father turned around wanting me to follow him into the house. Not wanting to do anything else but get home and curl up in my bed so I followed my father into the house.

Yes, my father did just walk into the house in his wolf form. I would have almost laughed if we weren't in such a serious situation.

My father stands out as his wolf takes up most of the entry way. Before he could take another step, my mother rushes into the mud room and envelopes me into a hug. 

She tightens her hold on me as she exhales a breath of relief. I only burry my head into her chest relishing in the safeness it brings.

After what feels like a lifetime, my mother unwinds her arms from me but still holds onto my shoulders as she takes a look at me. Once she made sure I was okay, she went back to hug my small frame tightly.

I rub my mom's back as to soothe her worries. Many horrible thoughts are probably going through her head of what could have happened if I wasn't brought home safely.

My mother unraveles herself from me for the last time. I look up and see my father still in his wolf form as he stood protectively in front of the door.

Seeing the questioning look in my eyes my mom says, "Your father is going to stay in his wolf form tonight."