Ch. 2 The Campfire

The twins, still in their wolf form, raced right into the lake playing like little pups. Dipping their heads into the water every so often to wash off the remaining flour stuck to them.

Everyone else went to shift back into human form. While they did this, I went into the woods to gather wood. When I came back with a heavy load there were lawn chairs set up around our fire pit.

Jared we came over and took the wood from my arms with a smile. My arms were grateful to the lessened weight. As I shook out my arms, hot breath floated over my neck as arms wrapped around my waist. I was then lifted off the ground spinning in circles. I shrieked as I realized it was Finn as he laughed in my ear.

Pounding on his arms trying to get him to let me down. Saying between giggles, "Let, me, down!" Once I was gently lowered onto the ground I spun around to face Finn. A huge grin spread across his mouth as he saw my face. "Come on, your going to have old lady wrinkles," Finn held back a laugh as he touched my creasing forehead.

Shooing his hand away, I walked and sat down into a chair. Trying to hide a smile but failing miserably. The next couple of hours went by fast as we told campfire stories and roasted marshmallows.

Taking a bite into my third s'more the twins told a scary story in low whispers. Focusing my attention on them I didn't hear the footsteps that where approaching me. "Rarrr!"

I jumped in surprise as my s'more fell to the ground in a sad thud. I turned around to see who gave me the heart attack and saw Lilac showing her canines. I slapped her on the shoulder with her feigning hurt.

"Guys, don't do this to me," my voice sounding a little whinny.

Lilac laughed as she took her seat next to me. "Awe Cress, its just so easy," Lilac responded.

I grunted as I picked up my pitiful s'more covered in sand. Sighing I threw it into the fire. With my fingers sticky I decided to wash them off.

Slowly, I got up stretching my stiff muscles from sitting for 3 hours. Walking towards the water, a feeling of content washed over me.

I bent down into a crouch position and rinsed my hands in the cooling water. Looking out into the beautiful dark blue water, the moon's reflection shimmered in the water as soft waves came to shore.

A sigh escaped my mouth as worries came to mind. Tomorrow will be my first time going to a real school. I have always been home-schooled because my parents were afraid of all the bullying that would happen to me.

Since I am a shift-less pure bred. It would be another story if one of my parents were human than the chances of having a shift-less child would be 50%.

But that's not all. I am deemed a freak since I have blonde hair and blue eyes the opposite of my parents. My parents think I got my blonde hair from my grandma who is my mom's mom and a human.

But no one knows where I got my blue eyes since my grandma had brown. Unless, one of my ancestors had blue eyes. But its really confusing because my brothers look exactly like my parents but I don't.

I am even the shortest standing only 5 foot 3 while my brothers are 6 foot 2. My mom is 5 foot 8 and my father is 6 foot 3. I really am like the runt of a pack.

A gentle warm hand landed on my shoulder and I jolted in surprise. I looked up and saw dark brown eyes with the black rim around the irises looking down at me. I smiled at Garrett as he knelt down next to me washing his hands.

I watched the water swirl as I moved my fingers around. A sigh sounded from Garrett and I looked up into worrying eyes. I ducked my head down while my feet played in the sand  knowing what he's going to say.