Ch. 1 The Pack

As I sit nimble on a large rough oak tree branch, I look out from behind the white oak leaves down at my two unsuspecting brothers. Excitement bubbling in the pit of my stomach as I think of what great satisfaction it will bring me.

I had this great idea to prank my brothers and get back at them from their last prank. It was definitely not the greatest moment of my life.

I hold onto a gallon bucket of icy water in my right hand and a smaller bucket of white flour in my left. While doing my best to keep my balance since both of my hands are too preoccupied to hold on to a branch. 

I had some trouble bringing these buckets up high into the tree, but it will be worth it. I have prepared an awesome surprise launch at my brothers since last week. 

When my brothers last pranked me, they thought it would be cool to throw me into the lake while I was fully clothed. The worst of it was that I looked like a wet cat as I walked out of the water.

 Not that I have anything against cats. But I was the laughingstock of the pack for weeks. The boys even continued to laugh at me as the water pooled around my feet. It was an embarrassment I will never forget and now I will get my well-deserved revenge.

My brothers Jake and Jared are twins, both with black shoulder length hair and puppy like brown eyes with specks of black in them. They have perfectly chiseled faces with high cheekbones and a strong nose with a bit of a bridge to complement their symmetrical faces. 

They are boys that get teenage girls to fan over and grandmas to fawn over. Their personalities make it easy to differentiate who is who. 

Jake is more carefree and laughs everything off while Jared is a little grumpy. But they are still very loving. That's probably why everyone likes and respects them in our pack and not just the fact that they are the future Alpha's.

As they trudged through the forest, their feet never give way to any sound. A gift of being a shapeshifter. You get some characteristics from the animal. I always thought it would be cool to be soundless as I walk through the forest, but I have never had the experience.

I on the other hand, sound like an elephant stomping around compared to them. I always find a stump to trip over and a twig to snap. 

As I wait, Jake's laughter resounds through the forest as Jared said something funny. Which is a rare occurrence I might add.

I smile as the twins who were oblivious to what I am about to do in seconds. As the twins got below me, I timed it right and tipped the cold bucket hearing the sound of water splash on them.

Then just as quickly, I poured the flour. Hearing shrieks and hollering coming from the twins I find that it was a success. The flour started to immediately stick in clumps making this whole prank even better.

Without realizing it, I laugh so hard that I start to cry. Giving away my location, my brothers look up at me and start to yell which only made me laugh harder.

As I laugh, I forgot about one very important detail of being high up in the tree with no free hands. Losing my balance, I slip and fall out of the tree. 

My fingers desperately trying to grab onto the tree branch but missed it by an inch. With my hands grasping at air, I let out a shriek as I fall.

Just when I thought I would hit the floor, my body fell into something solid and warm. A big contrast to what I imagined.

 Surprised, I open up my eyes and look up into dark brown eyes that have black outlining the iris. Disheveled dark brown hair hung down my savior's face meeting just above his eyebrows. A nose that would be perfectly straight if not for the uneven bridge of his nose from being broken twice.