Ch. 31 The Bonfire

*****Thank you for 1,000 reads! I am enjoying writing this story and am sad to think that it is 3/4 done! I hope you enjoy reading this chapter!!*****

As we drove towards the bluffs and away from our pack, I suddenly felt a mixture of feelings. Part of me wanted to enjoy the party and sit next to the warm fire and another part dreaded the thought of the first game on Monday. 

The games go on for 5 school days, but I don't know how I feel about it all. I just hope I do well in the obstacle course and the paper exam since you can't use your werewolf form for those. But the battling is what I am worried about.

As I was lost in thought, I didn't notice that Jake already had the car in park and everyone was hopping out of the car already. So, I hurriedly got out of the car; getting tangled up in my seatbelt in the process.

Once I shut my door, I noticed Jared holding a laugh back as he must have watched my fight with the fierce seatbelt. I went over to stop him from laughing and playfully nudged his arm with fake anger.

He playfully acted surprised and stumbled to the right a little. I smiled at his behavior since I knew I wouldn't be able to nudge him unless he allowed me too. 

Pointing a finger at my brother I adamantly said, "Don't you dare tell your friends about that."

Jared put his hand up to his mouth and motioned zipping his lips and throwing an imaginary key away. Satisfied with this, I started to lead the way. Once realizing that I don't know the way, I slowed down my pace so that my brothers instead lead the way.

As I followed my brothers through the dense forest, I gave up keeping track of how long it has taken us to walk from the parking area. I never directly asked my brothers how far away the bonfire is, so I just need to have patience.

Turning around to walk backwards Jake asked, "Why didn't Rosaleen come?"

Impressed at my brother's ability to step over stumps and around trees I responded, "Oh, she texted me saying that she was too nervous to come because of the games starting on Monday."

Jake nodded his head in understanding before turning around to face forward. Its good too since I was starting to worry that he would fall backwards anytime now.

Rosaleen texted me saying she would just go to bed early instead. So, I told her to get some rest, but she wanted me to tell her if anything exciting happen. 

I only came because I shouldn't let the stress take over enjoying some quality time with my friends and brothers.

My back pants pocket started to vibrate, so I took my phone out a look at the message. Lilac texted me that she would save me a chair. I responded with a thumbs up emoji and put my phone away. I need both hands just in case I fall. 

When my brothers were driving, I found out that Lilac made Finn go early with her. She wanted to go earlier so that she could talk to the captain of the Lacrosse girls' team. She said something about wanting to know about the game that they will be playing next weekend.

I don't know how everyone knew about the annual bonfire because I never heard about it until Jared brought it up with our mother an hour ago. I wonder if it's a secret gathering and that not everyone at school knows about this.

I guess every year the seniors throw the party at the same spot. They always chose the camping area by the bluffs.

I guess they were never worried of someone falling over the cliffs and having an accident since everyone is a werewolf. It would be hard to get themselves hurt but for me, I wouldn't fare so well.

I'll have to try to stick by Finn or my brothers as much as possible and not wander away from the fire. Just the thought of accidentally falling over the cliff gives me the goosebumps.

My brothers walked in front of me heading confidently deeper into the darkening woods. Noticing that I stopped, Jared turned around asking, "Are you coming, Cress? I heard Lilac saved you a seat!"

I smiled at his kind encouragement since its rare. Everyone in my family knows how I have a little social anxiety. I think I get social anxiety from being kept at the pack and never allowed to go outside since I was young.

Although, I am quite fine at school since I have a routine, but this is different. I don't exactly know what I am walking into or the events that will take place. It's all about the unknown.

"Yeah, coming. I'm just going to tie my shoelaces first." Hoping my brother didn't see through my lie, I bent down to re-tie my shoelace that was in a perfect double knot a second earlier.

"Come on Jared, they are waiting for us. What's the hold up?" Jake looked over at me, curious as to why we stopped.

"You guys can go ahead, I will be there in a sec." I tried to confidently say without them being able to sense my nervousness.

"Sure, see you there Cress. The bonfire is just a couple of yards ahead. You'll be able to see the clearing."

Jake nudged Jared to follow him. Jake gave me a smile before walking towards the clearing. Jake must have realized that I was only stalling so I didn't have to go to the bonfire just yet.

Standing up, I watched as the twins playfully bumped into each other as they ran full speed. Smiling, I shake my head at my brother's playfulness. I'm grateful that they were walking at my pace so I could keep up with them.

Listening to my brother, I walked a couple of steps before I spotted the bonfire. It was a huge fire, with the flames licked at the wood stacked up high.

Two boys tended to the fire, feeding the fire with wood ever so often. They were probably assigned that role in order to have a constant bonfire throughout the night. 

I look around to find some familiar faces but most faces I saw are those of strangers. Those here are probably mostly the popular kids and those with high positions in their packs that are here.

No wonder I never knew about it before, it's for popular people only. I suddenly feel sick at the notion and want to go back to the car before everyone spotted me.

Spotting my friends off to the side of the bonfire, I decided to quickly and quietly go over there and try not to be spotted. It's not like I can drive home on my way anyways and it would be safer to be with my brothers anyways.

I carefully step out into the clearing hoping no one can hear my footsteps over the deafening roaring of the fire and conversations. As I head over to my brothers, I feel as if I am standing behind a glass window that I can look out but not one can see me. 

I silently watch as everyone laughs and comes together from around the area to celebrate peacefully before the games. The Werewolf Games start on Monday for the hierarchy of the school. Everyone here came to relax before the games.

Spotting me walking into the clearing first, Finn exclaimed, "Hey, it's Cress!"

All of a sudden, everyone's eyes were on me. Not all welcoming.